- Returning players may want to read the page for Returning Players before continuing.
- New to the game? You may want to check out the new player guide for this guild.
|Moon Mage Guild|
Image copyright of Simutronics Corporation
|Secondary Skillsets:||Lore, Survival|
|Tertiary Skillsets:||Weapon, Armor|
|Special Abilities:|| Lunar Magic, Prediction,|
| Barbarian - Bard - Cleric - Commoner - Empath - Moon Mage|
Necromancer - Paladin - Ranger - Thief - Trader - Warrior Mage
Moon Mages are an esoteric collective of magicians, scholars and soothsayers from several different sects. Known for the versatile and powerful magic that flows from their fingertips and their ability to foretell the future, Moon Mages are among the most potent spellcasters on Elanthia.
Their abilities are tied closely to the rising and setting of the three moons Xibar, Yavash and Katamba, as well as the motions of other heavenly bodies. Thus when the skies smile down upon a Moon Mage, his powers are strong; yet when all the moons have set, he is considerably weaker.
- 1 Official Information
- 2 Guild Abilities
- 3 Lesser Guild Abilities
- 4 Circle Requirements
- 5 Sects
- 6 Miscellaneous
- 7 Related Forum Posts
- 8 Additional Information
Official InformationDragonrealms Website.
Guild Hall Locations
- The Crossing
- In a massive observatory outside the city proper, Celestian Kssarh T'Kinnirii teaches new students with a passion that most would dub abusive. (You can type DIR MOON MAGE for directions.)
- Housed inside the tremendous shell of some unknown sea beast, the Moon Mage Guildhall on Taisgath is overseen by Fateweaver Lomtaun Nedorath of the Gypsies.
- Tezirite Mortom Saist, respected Guildleader and politician, welcomes all Moon Mages to the Guildhall in the Great Tower of Shard... despite his quirks.
- Lesser Fist (south of Riverhaven) (Now closed due to the volcano erupting & Tiv becoming disabled)
- Within a remarkable Guildhall inside a volcano believed to be dormant, Guildleader Tiv trained students in the ways of the Monks of the Crystal Hand. With the eruption of the Lesser Fist of Heaven, the Crystal Hand Fortress housing the guildhall was subsequently destroyed.
- Guildleader Gylwyn, after a meteoric rise and equally dramatic stint with exile, has returned to the graces of the Moon Mage Guild and teaches Theren students in her spire Guildhall north of Riverhaven.
- Guildleader Cherulisa D'Shari'sendal, resides in The Spire Guildhall on the Trabe Plateau.
Another renowned guild leader, about whom little is publicly known but their name and sect affiliation, is Prophet Estrille Ardwens.
Skillsets and Common Races
A Moon Mage's primary skillset is Magic. Lore and Survival are secondary skillsets, with Weapon and Armor bringing up the rear as tertiary skills.
Moon Mages break down into the following races.
Moon Mage enchanting as a monopoly is obsolete. Craft enchanting was released as a crafting lore practicable by anyone in June 2019. Guilded moon mages receive one free technique slot in the Artificing discipline of the Enchanting skill, one free technique slot in the Binding discipline of the Enchanting skill and one free technique slot in the Invoking discipline of the Enchanting skill. Currently (Nov. 2019) only the Artificing discipline has been released.
Moon Mages draw Lunar mana from Celestial bodies for their spells. They have access to the Stellar, Perception, Enlightened Geometry, Psychic Projection, Moonlight Manipulation, and Teleologic Sorcery spellbooks.
- Cantrip: Minor magic with some flashy and useful effects. Most are based off the sect you join, there are some general ones for those not affiliated with a particular sect.
As a magic prime guild Moon mages are given the following two magical feats for free at second circle:
- Basic Preparation Recognition - This allows the mage the chance to see basic/intro spells being prepped by others, even other guilds.
- Utility Mastery - This gives the mage a skill bonus to casting any Utility based spells.
Moon Mage Spell Slot Progression
As a magic prime guild Moon Mages gain spell slots in the following way.
|50-100||Every 2 Circles|
|101-150||Every 3 Circles|
Moon Mages as a magic prime guild have access to a guild specific sorcery called Teleologic Sorcery. These spells are a mixture of Lunar and either Holy or Elemental mana. The common theme of their effects is the manipulation of Fate in ways that most Moon Mages would deem fundamentally wrong. As these are sorcery spells, the Moon Mage guild does not endorse nor teach their use thus requiring any mage wishing to learn their secrets to seek them on spell scrolls.
The casting of these spells carries several possible consequences.
- The possibility of volatile backlash that can happen when mixing mana types.
- Accusation and arrest for Forbidden Practices which will also give Social Corruption.
- Small amounts of Teleologic Corruption. This is a corrupting factor on a Moon Mage's link to the Plane of Probability and will affect the mage's ability to predict the future.
Moon Mage Attunement
Moon Mages have a unique variation on perceiving power that goes beyond what most other guilds can do. While most magic users find the number of mana streams to be location-dependent, the mana streams for Lunar Magic are time-dependent, reflecting the conditions of the moon and stars.
As such, Moon Mages may perceive:
- The moons of Elanthia, either individually or all at once
- The available mana for each Moon Mage spellbook, either individually or all at once
- The source of a Locate spell
- A rough estimate of the current time, even underground
- The magical status of other characters or creatures
- The distance to nearby planets
The ability to foresee a character's future. This ability will either provide a temporary bonus or penalty to the recipient's skill.
Several tools may be of use in performing predictions:
- See the Star Chart for information on constellations
- Celestial Charts, favored by the Celestial Compact.
- Divination Bones, favored by the Nomads of the Arid Steppe.
- Ornate Mirror, favored by the Progeny of Tezirah.
- Sandstone Bowl, favored by the Prophets of G'Nar Peth.
- Sapphire Prism, favored by the Monks of the Crystal Hand.
- Tokka Cards, favored by the Followers of Fortune's Path.
Astral Travel is an ability that allows Moon Mages to enter and navigate the Astral Plane, allowing them to bridge massive distances on the Plane of Abiding in almost no time. The ability is dangerous and often fatal and was only recently made possible by the invention of the Naming Ritual, which is used on Grazhir shards to imprint them with a magical pattern of its name which allows a mage to use it as an anchor.
Moon Mages have the ability to use the RECALL command to aid in deciphering the heavens.
- RECALL HEAVENS will give information regarding the individual constellations and what skillsets they give prediction information on.
- RECALL HEAVENS GRAZHIR will remind the mage which Grazhir shards they have memorized.
100th Circle Ability
Upon being promoted to 99th circle the Moon Mage Guildleaders will task the mage with a quest for better understanding of the cosmos. This quest must be completed in order to advance to 100th circle and beyond. After completion the mage is granted the ability to tap into the Astral Plane from anywhere in the land by teleporting or moongating to Grazhir rather than the three other moons. This ability also provides security to teleporting to a moon that is no longer in the sky by automatically shunting the mage to the nearest Grazhir shard rather than the typical messy outcome.
Lesser Guild Abilities
The ability for a Moon Mage to tell the time of day even when they cannot see the sky due to affinity to the moons and celestial bodies.
The ability to trace a Locate back to the caster and his/her location.
Align is an ability learned by Moon Mages and has several effects.
- When the mage is aligned to one of the moons, spells that require a moon will default to the aligned moon.
- When the mage is aligned to Grazhir and has completed the 100th circle ability quest, any rogue teleports or moongates will send the mage to the nearest Astral Plane conduit.
- When using the prediction system or the Tangled Fate spell the mage must align to the skillset or individual skill they wish to predict upon.
Hard skill requirements ( Scholarship, Astrology) are listed in bold. These skills cannot count toward Nth skills, such as 1st Magic or 1st Lore.
- Note: The following "mastery" skills never count toward Nth skill requirements, since they affect all or most of the skillset: Defending, Parry Ability, Offhand Weapon, Melee Mastery, Missile Mastery, and Lunar Magic. For Moon Mages, Thievery also does not count towards Nth skill requirements.
Nth skill requirements are met with your top-ranked skills out of the following list of eligible skills:
- Armor: Shield Usage, Light Armor, Chain Armor, Brigandine, and Plate Armor
- Weapon: Small Edged, Large Edged, Twohanded Edged, Small Blunt, Large Blunt, Twohanded Blunt, Slings, Bow, Crossbow, Staves, Polearms, Light Thrown, Heavy Thrown, and Brawling
- Lore: Forging, Engineering, Outfitting, Alchemy, Enchanting, Mechanical Lore, Appraisal, Performance, and Tactics
- Magic: Attunement, Arcana, Targeted Magic, Augmentation, Debilitation, Utility, Warding, and Sorcery
- Survival: Athletics, Perception, Stealth, Locksmithing, First Aid, Outdoorsmanship, Skinning, and Evasion
- Soft Requirements are not counted towards cumulative totals.
The Moon Mage guild was originally founded by six groups, or sects, of magic users that were unified by their prophetic ability and use of lunar magic during en event known as the Lunar Accord. Each sect had a unique philosophic approach to the use of these abilities, and many of these differences persist to the present at least in part to the relatively recent re-emergence of the original sects. Although not every (or even most) students choose to join one of the sects, studying the philosophy of at least one is an excellent way to explore ones' own relationship with fate.
These sects are:
- The Celestial Compact is a group of astrologers and politicians who seek to shape Kermoria with their knowledge of the future.
- The Followers of Fortunes Path are often carefree, but occasionally fatalistic, wanderers who strive to follow the whims of fate.
- The Monks of the Crystal Hand are stoic and ascetic seekers of transcendence.
- The Nomads of the Arid Steppe are an association of tribesmen who seek guidance from the stars and their ancestors.
- The Progeny of Tezirah are masters of both shadow magic and backroom politics.
- The Prophets of G'nar Peth are seekers of Esoteric knowledge who many believe are afflicted with madness.
- Heritage House is an emergent sect that strives to unify the divergent perspective of the guild into a single coherent philosophy.
- Moon Mage Circle Calculator
- Moon Mage New Player Guide
- Moon Mages of Renown
- Moon Mage Titles
- Moon Mage Quest Walkthroughts - SPOILERS
- Moon Mage Sect Representative Locations - SPOILERS
- Star chart
Related Forum Posts
Click here to search for related posts.