Athletics is a survival skill that measures your ability to move through bodies of water under your own power and climb obstacles.
Spells and abilities that boost Athletics
- Athleticism (Ranger)
- Eluned's commune (2) (Cleric)
- Khri Flight (Thief)
- Magical research
- Unyielding (Barbarian)
Spells and abilities that decrease Athletics
Things that help boost Athlectics skill:
- Appraising an obstacle before attempting the climb helps based on your success at appraising. Note that appraisal difficulties are currently inaccurate, but will still help with the climbing attempt.
- Being led by a superior climber increases climbing ability. Being led by a superior climbing Ranger increases it even more.
- Ranger wilderness bonus
- Thief - Thief confidence and Urban bonus both include Climbing, per GM-Risek, post #7425 in The Den, A place to talk, squeal, "You can definitely boost your escaping skill with khri. You can boost it by a great deal. You don't have a specific ability to boost you climbing, but it is covered under your Urban Bonus and in Confidence."
- The role of stats in climbing has been increased. Both agility and strength will aid in climbing, so any other ability that boosts agility and/or strength helps as well.
- Lack of current in a body of water
- Lack of encumbrance, armor hindrance, and injuries also play a role.