Tactics is a new skill in the Lore skillset, introduced with DR3 in early 2013. It is the skill of seeing your enemies' weaknesses and capitalizing on them. It is contested against an opponent's Defending skill.
It has three current uses: Applying multiple-opponent penalties to a target (useful for ganging up on people), using non-violent combat maneuvers, and the new combo system. The current way to train it is to use tactical maneuvers (like WEAVE and BOB) and using ANALYZE to identify combos that apply debuffs to creatures. Tactics trains like a weapon skill, so it must be contested against an opponent of suitable challenge.
Notably, tactical maneuvers are favored by Empaths because they will not cause empathic shock, and the skill is in their primary skillset.
Spells and abilities that boost Tactics
- Blur (Trader)
- Crusader's Challenge (Paladin)
- Khri Cunning (Thief)
- Rough-cut xenomite inkpot
- Wisdom of the Pack (Ranger)
Spells and abilities that decrease Tactics
- BOB regenerates fatigue
- CIRCLE increases position and debuffs enemy balance; no fatigue cost
- WEAVE temporarily debuffs an enemy's defense in exchange for a fairly high fatigue cost
- GRAPPLE enables certain brawling moves (like butt) and prevents some kinds of attacks. Also will prevent an opponent from standing if they are kneeling or prone. Using circle successfully while grappled will cause your opponent to lose balance. However, an unsuccessful circle can backfire and harm your balance.
- SHOVE can knock opponents to the ground or to pole range. Can also break a grapple
If you lack the skill, some maneuvers (not BOB) can backfire and decrease your balance/position.
|verb||fatigue||balance||speed||accuracy||least pen. def.||most pen. def.|
|Weave||5 - extremely fatiguing||2 - unbalancing||3 - reasonably paced||2 - accurate as most||evasion||shield|
|Circle||3 - moderately fatiguing||4 - balance building||3 - reasonably paced||2 - accurate as most||equal||equal|
|Bob||1 - barely fatiguing||5 - very balance building||3 - reasonably paced||2 - accurate as most||evasion||parry/shield|
|Grapple||2 - somewhat fatiguing||0 - extremely unbalancing||3 - reasonably paced||3 - more accurate than most||equal||equal|
|Tackle||5 - extremely fatiguing||3 - balance neutral||1 - very quick||1 - less accurate than most||equal||equal|
|Shove||2 - somewhat fatiguing||2 - unbalancing||3 - reasonably paced||3 - more accurate than most||evasion||parry/shield|