Contested abilities are Stat versus Stat (SvS) contests, where the attacker uses a debilitating ability against an opponent. Which attributes are used by the aggressor in the contest, versus which attributes are used by the defender is based on the nature of attack itself.
Contested Spells Contests
This will mean that individual mages, depending on how they have and want to train their stats, will tend to have a particular type of contested spell that they excel at. Likewise, there will be particular targets who may be more or less resistant to specific types of contested spells. All of the above applies equally to both critters and players.
Contest Stat "Weighting"
|Attack Class||Primary Stat||Secondary Stat||Tertiary Stat|
Magical Attack Styles
- Mind Attacks - The user is bringing the force of his own mind to bear on the target.
- Magic Attacks - The user is creating an effect that acts on its own accord as opposed to directly contesting themselves with the target.
- Spirit Attacks - The user is clashing their spirit or soul against the target, trying to bring down its weight against them.
- Charm Attacks - The user is trying to lure or befuddle the target in a subtler attack, or instead awe the target through sheer presence.
Non-Magical Attack Styles
- Fear Attacks - The user is trying to intimidate the target in order to evoke a desired effect.
- Examples: Barbarian Roars.
- Power Attacks - The user is bringing forth sheer physical brutality in order to cause an effect.
- Example: War Stomp.
- Finesse Attacks - The user is using their quick and agile nature in order to cause the desired effect.
- Example: Thief Ambushes.
Contest Stat "Weighting"
|Defense Class||Primary Stat||Secondary Stat||Tertiary Stat||Other Conditions|
|Reflexes||Reflex||Agility||Intelligence||Also affected by incapacitating conditions (prone, webbed, etc).|
|Fortitude||Stamina||Discipline||Strength||Also affected by vitality, spirit, and fatigue.|
|Willpower||Discipline||Wisdom||Intelligence||Also affected by nerve damage, stuns/unconsciousness, and Khri Serenity, and Cunning.|
Defending from Spells
It was decided that attacks against a character fundamentally reduce to three things: You avoid it, you endure it, or you repel it.
- Reflexes - The user is attempting to avoid something attacking them, keep their balance, or otherwise make agile or dexterous motions.
- Fortitude - The user is trying to endure an effect or curse that cannot be avoided.
- Willpower - The user is attempting to actively fight off or shield themselves from an attempt to meddle with their state of being.
Related Forum Posts
This category has the following 10 subcategories, out of 10 total.
- ► Charm contest abilities (11 P)
- ► Power contest abilities (7 P)
- ► Reflexes contest abilities (15 P)
- ► Spirit contest abilities (13 P)
- ► Willpower contest abilities (39 P)
Pages in category "Contested abilities"
The following 60 pages are in this category, out of 60 total.
- Aether Wolves
- Albreda's Balm
- Anther's Call
- Arc Light
- Avren Aevareae
- Banner of Truce
- Burden (spell)
- Crusader's Challenge
- Curse of the Wilds
- Curse of Zachriedek
- Damaris' Lullaby
- Demrris' Resolve
- Desert's Maelstrom
- Electrostatic Eddy
- Glythtide's Joy
- Grizzly Claws
- Harawep's Bonds
- Heighten Pain
- Huldah's Pall
- Ice Patch
- Idon's Theft
- Mark of Arhat
- Mental Blast
- Meraud's Cry
- Mind Shout
- Nissa's Binding
- Petrifying Visions
- Phelim's Sanction
- Sanyu Lyba
- Shadow Web
- Soul Bonding
- Soul Sickness
- Sovereign Destiny
- Spite of Dergati
- Stun Foe
- Tezirah's Veil
- Viscous Solution
- Visions of Darkness
- Ward Break