The magical tattoo system was released during the Droughtman's Challenge 426 (2018) event. Unlike the common cosmetic tattoos, these limited release designs are imbued with a non-signature spell and can be used by all magic users. Sorcery hazards will apply when casting outside your natural mana type.
A new variant was introduced during Su Helmas: Seeds of Entropy (2019): teleportation tattoos. They are unlimited use, require a moon to be up, and have a twenty roisaen cooldown. Most of the these tattoos are enchanted with fixed destinations, though a version with a resettable destination was also released. With all permutations, there is a small chance that you may be teleported to a random location. Teleportation tattoos can be used by non-magic users.
You can have only one magical tattoo, but its effects can also be applied to a normal tattoo. Magical tattoos are removed at tattoo shops or with a dirty inkpot.
- APPLY to wear a magical tattoo
- If you already have a magical tattoo, and attempt to apply another, you will receive the message:
- As you bring the ink covered needle near your existing magical tattoo, the needle begins to vibrate violently. Thinking better of continuing, you return the needle to the inkpot.
- FOCUS TATTOO to check the spell contained in the tattoo and other relative info.
- INVOKE TATTOO to prepare the spell.
- When invoked with no mana cost specified,
an alternate base mana cost native to the tattoo will be used. (confirm 5 or 20 mana base)the spell's base cost will be used (check discussion page to see a paste).
- Unlimited use and no cooldowns.
- Will remain with you thru death.
- When invoked with no mana cost specified,
- See also Teleportation tattoos for that sub-genre of magical tattoo items.
Removing and Storage
If you have an existing teleportation tattoo, you can APPLY one of the removal inkpots to remove the teleport spell and store it in the inkpot. The design of the tattoo will remain, becoming a simple cosmetic tattoo, which can then accept a new teleportation or magical tattoo spell.
The inkpot will then be stored with the target-location spell that was contained in your tattoo. You can now safely apply a different tattoo if you choose to, however keep in mind there is a 30 RL-day cooldown on reapplying a removed tattoo, so as not to allow people to constantly swap between teleportation & magical tattoos.
Some other things to keep in mind:
- Tattoos bought from shops and special custom tattoos are not removed when using these. If you have a teleportation or magical tattoo stored in a custom or store-bought cosmetic tattoo design, only the spell will be stored in the inkpot. Your old tattoo will be safe and secure.
- Only tattoo designs that were applied to empty skin from a teleportation or magical inkpot will have the tattoo spell and tattoo design removed.
- When replacing a previously removed tattoo, the tattoo description for the inkpot will overwrite whatever the previous tattoo was. For example if you have a blank inkpot that has a stored tattoo of "a red rose", but your current (old) tattoo was "a white skull", once you store your teleportation or magical tattoo in that blank inkpot, the next time you APPLY the tattoo from the inkpot (after 30 days has elapsed) the tattoo will now be "a red rose" - the old tattoo is lost.
Variations of removal inkpots include:
|Dirty inkpot||Drathrok's Duskruin 426/Incidental loot|
Drathrok's Duskruin 430/Incidental loot
|Purple inkpot painted with a Seed of Entropy||Su Helmas: Seeds of Entropy/End loot|
|Slimy inkpot||House of the Revenant Fang 429/Shadowy Safehouse|
- STUDY: Upon opening the lid, you see instructions detailing how to APPLY a tattoo of ripples in water. The ink has been specially created with miniaturized runestones allowing you to cast spells from your tattoo, after applied.
You believe if you were to APPLY the ink contained within the inkpot, you would imbue your existing tattoo with the miniaturized runestones, instead of following the instructions.
- APPLY: You carefully remove the lid of the inkpot. Ignoring the the instructions on the lid, you trace your tattoo with the included needle. After a little work, you discard the inkpot.
- The end loot available during the Droughtman's Challenge 426 had an array of various alternate designs for purchase on the tan easel:
- These inkpots are empty. Use them to REMOVE your current runic tattoo. When reapplied the inkpot will form the listed tattoos