The magical tattoo system was released during the Droughtman's Challenge 426 (2018) event. Unlike the common cosmetic tattoos, these limited release designs are imbued with a non-signature spell and can be used by all magic users. Sorcery hazards will apply when casting outside your natural mana type. Magical tattoos are not usable by non-magic users (thieves, barbarians, commoners).
A new variant was introduced during Su Helmas: Seeds of Entropy (2019): teleportation tattoos. They are unlimited use, require a moon to be up, and have a twenty roisaen cooldown. Most of the these tattoos are enchanted with fixed destinations, though a version with a resettable destination was also released. With all permutations, there is a small chance that you may be teleported to a random location. Teleportation tattoos can be used by non-magic users.
Another variant, heroic tattoos, were introduced during Drathrok's Duskruin 438 (2021). Usable by anyone (magic users or non-magic users), they can be INVOKEd to provide a +20% boost to whatever attributes or skills they are attuned for. The effects of heroic tattoos last 60 minutes and they come with a 120 minute cooldown between uses.
- You carefully remove the lid of the inkpot. Ignoring the instructions on the lid, you trace your tattoo with the included needle. After a little work, you discard the inkpot.
- You believe if you were to APPLY the ink contained within the inkpot, you would imbue your existing tattoo with the miniaturized runestones, instead of following the instructions.
You can have only one magical tattoo, but its effects can also be applied to a normal mundane cosmetic tattoo. When a magical tattoo is applied to an existing mundane tattoo, the existing mundane tattoo's cosmetics are retained. If you want to replace your mundane tattoo with the magical tattoo's description; you'll need to visit a tattoo shop to have the mundane tattoo removed before applying the magical tattoo.
- APPLY to wear a magical tattoo
- If you already have a magical tattoo, and attempt to apply another magical tattoo, you will receive the message:
- As you bring the ink covered needle near your existing magical tattoo, the needle begins to vibrate violently. Thinking better of continuing, you return the needle to the inkpot.
- FOCUS TATTOO: To check the spell contained in the tattoo and other relative info.
- INVOKE TATTOO: To prepare the spell.
- Utilizes Arcana skill to prepare.
- You do not specify a mana cost when you INVOKE. Tattoos are fixed, set to prepare the spell at a percentage of the spell's max cap. Inkpots can be sold at different percentages; some will prepare the spell at 1 mana while others can prepare at much higher base mana levels.
- A tattoo dial can be used to permanently adjust the preparation amount of an inkpot or an already applied tattoo.
- Unlimited use and no cooldowns.
- Will remain with you thru death.
- Cannot be invoked while hidden or invisible.
- CAST: To cast your spell once it's prepared.
- Utilizes your Primary Magic skill in addition to the spell type's magic skill: Utility skill, Warding skill, Augmentation skill, Debilitation skill, Targeted Magic skill to cast if the spell's mana belongs to your native mana frequency.
- Utilizes Sorcery skill in place of your Primary Magic skill in addition to the magic skill(s) listed above to cast if the spell's mana does not belong to your native mana frequency. See Sorcery.
- See also Teleportation tattoos for that sub-genre of magical tattoo items.
Removal and Storage
If you have an existing teleportation tattoo, you can APPLY one of the removal inkpots to remove the teleport spell and store it in the inkpot. The design of the tattoo will remain, becoming a simple cosmetic tattoo, which can then accept a new teleportation or magical tattoo spell.
The inkpot will then be stored with the target-location spell that was contained in your tattoo. You can now safely apply a different tattoo if you choose to, however keep in mind there is a 30 RL-day cooldown on reapplying a removed tattoo, so as not to allow people to constantly swap between teleportation & magical tattoos.
- Infuser Stones can be used to reduce the cooldown of inkpots containing runic tattoos. One stone will remove 15 days of cooldown. Thus, two Infuser Stones will remove the entire cooldown.
Some other things to keep in mind:
- Tattoos bought from shops and special custom tattoos are not removed when using these. If you have a teleportation or magical tattoo stored in a custom or store-bought cosmetic tattoo design, only the spell will be stored in the inkpot. Your old tattoo will be safe and secure.
- Only tattoo designs that were applied to empty skin from a teleportation or magical inkpot will have the tattoo spell and tattoo design removed.
- When replacing a previously removed tattoo, the tattoo description for the inkpot will overwrite whatever the previous tattoo was. For example if you have a blank inkpot that has a stored tattoo of "a red rose", but your current (old) tattoo was "a white skull", once you store your teleportation or magical tattoo in that blank inkpot, the next time you APPLY the tattoo from the inkpot (after 30 days has elapsed) the tattoo will now be "a red rose" - the old tattoo is lost.
- Magical tattoos can also be removed by mundane tattoo artists, but doing so will result in the loss of your magical tattoo.
- If you have an existing magical tattoo, you'll need to remove it before adding a mundane tattoo to replace it cosmetically and then reapply the magical tattoo to the new cosmetic mundane tattoo.
Variations of removal inkpots include:
- STUDY: Upon opening the lid, you see instructions detailing how to APPLY a tattoo of ripples in water. The ink has been specially created with miniaturized runestones allowing you to cast spells from your tattoo, after applied.
You believe if you were to APPLY the ink contained within the inkpot, you would imbue your existing tattoo with the miniaturized runestones, instead of following the instructions.
- APPLY: You carefully remove the lid of the inkpot. Ignoring the the instructions on the lid, you trace your tattoo with the included needle. After a little work, you discard the inkpot.
Related Forum Posts
Pages in category "Magical tattoo"
The following 70 pages are in this category, out of 70 total.
- Item:Sea-green glass inkpot
- Item:Sharp-edged inkpot
- Item:Shifting inkpot
- Item:Shimmery gold inkpot
- Item:Shimmery inkpot
- Item:Shiny white inkpot
- Item:Silver inkpot
- Item:Silvery inkpot painted with a wispy pattern
- Item:Silvery-blue inkpot
- Item:Sparkling inkpot
- Item:Spherical inkpot
- Item:Spiraled inkpot
- Item:Square azure inkpot
- Item:Starry inkpot
- Item:Swirled inkpot
- Item:Swirling inkpot