This page is about magical research. Follow the link for information about Necromantic research.
There are two types of magical research: Research and Symbiosis. These were introduced as part of Magic 3.1 and use the same base mechanics as APPRAISE FOCUS. Therefore, you cannot do appraise focus and magical research at the same time.
Research projects are completed in portions between 30 and 300 seconds. Each portion is started with: RESEARCH <PROJECT> <DURATION>. When the sum of all completed portions hits the required time, your project is complete.
The scenarios in which you will find yourself needing to use magical research to train are:
- Your guild does not have a high level spell to train a specific magic skill efficiently (e.g. locking a magic takes longer than 15 minutes of chain casting)
- To get the bonus from a symbiosis
- To guarantee of mindlocking a skill
- Training the Sorcery skill without memorizing a spell scroll or using runestones
Research-type projects rely on the use of the Gauge Flow spell and give an instant lock of (or split experience among a group of) any magic skill after completion.
- Cast the Gauge Flow spell. The amount of mana put into the spell will affect time necessary for researching.
- Start a Research project by performing RESEARCH <TYPE> <DURATION> (e.g. RESEARCH UTILITY 300).
- Use RESEARCH LIST or see the table below for the types of research.
- Continue the Research project by doing RESEARCH <duration> until complete. You can use RESEARCH STATUS to see how far along you are on your project.
- When the project completes, you will receive a message regarding your breakthrough. Experience for research is only awarded upon completion of research.
Symbiosis-type projects increase the difficulty of a spell that is prepared with a symbiosis, thereby increasing the spell's learning potential for that cast. This also gives the spell an additional effect which can alter the skills the spell trains. For example, using a symbiosis that adds a skill buff will cause a spell to train the Augmentation skill in addition to any skills it normally trains if it doesn't already.
- Complete a Symbiosis research project using the steps above.
- From this point on you do not need to do symbiosis research again unless you die, cancel your research, or wish to change symbioses.
- PREPARE SYMBIOSIS to start the metamagic.
- Successfully cast a spell.
- See your message about a bonus.
Not all symbiosis increase the difficulty of spellcasting equally. In order from smallest to largest increase in difficulty, they are:
- Skill boosting symbiosis
- Chaos symbiosis
- Stat boosting symbiosis
Note: It is possible to use the Chaos symbiosis without researching it. Every character automatically has access to this as a default. The Chaos symbiosis only increases the difficulty of a spell and does not add any additional effects. This does allow a magic user to cast a spell that would normally be below their current skill level and still learn from it.
- Putting more mana into the Gauge Flow cast reduces the time needed for a research project, up to 20% at maximum mana.
- Arcana skill is required to learn Research-type options. Fundamental can be researched by everyone. Chaos is free for everyone and does not need to be researched.
- Magical feats unlock Symbiosis. Each feat is tied to a skillset. There is an Arcana skill requirement for each feat. Some Feats have pre-requisite Feats.
- You need to be able to cast a spell above minimum prep to use it with a symbiosis, since the symbiosis will increase the difficulty of the spell cast.
- Research is not designed for very low-level characters. It is primarily used to extend training for very skilled characters when using spells they can otherwise cap, and to manage Attunement costs when training for moderately skilled players.
|Name||Shorthand||Backlash Chance?||Feat Required||Skill Required (Arcana)||Minutes Needed*||Result|
|Fundamental Research||FUNDAMENTAL||false||60||5||Magic/Arcana experience (17/34 each)|
|Mana Stream Theory||STREAM||false||60||6.5||Attunement Experience (34/34)|
|Augmentation Patterns Research||AUGMENTATION||false||60||10||Augment experience (34/34)|
|Utility Patterns Research||UTILITY||false||60||10||Utility Experience (34/34)|
|Warding Patterns Research||WARDING||false||60||10||Warding Experience (34/34)|
|Sorcerous Research||SORCERY||true||250||15||Sorcery Experience (34/34)|
|High Energy Spellcasting||ENERGY||true||500||7.5||Attunement Experience (34/34)|
|Mana Field Theory||FIELD||true||750||15||Magic, Sorcery, Attunement Experience (17/34 each)|
|Plane of Probability||PLANE||false||250||20||Astrology Experience (33/34) (24 hr cool down) Quest required|
|Elemental Planes||PLANES||false||250||17||Summoning Experience (34/34) (24 hr cool down) Quest required|
|Starry Road||ROAD||false||118||18||Theurgy Experience (34/34) (24 hr cool down) Quest required|
|Spell Research||SPELL||true||1000||10||Augmentation, Utility, Warding Experience (17/34 each)|
|Strengthen Symbiosis||SYMBIOSIS STRENGTHEN||false||Physical Matrices||300||7.5||Strength (stat) Boost|
|Endure Symbiosis||SYMBIOSIS ENDURE||false||Physical Matrices||7.5||Stamina (stat) Boost|
|Avoid Symbiosis||SYMBIOSIS AVOID||false||Physical Matrices||7.5||Reflex (stat) Boost|
|Spring Symbiosis||SYMBIOSIS SPRING||false||Physical Matrices||7.5||Agility (stat) Boost|
|Remember Symbiosis||SYMBIOSIS REMEMBER||false||Mental Matrices||7.5||Intelligence (stat) Boost|
|Resolve Symbiosis||SYMBIOSIS RESOLVE||false||Mental Matrices||7.5||Discipline (stat) Boost|
|Impress Symbiosis||SYMBIOSIS IMPRESS||false||Mental Matrices||7.5||Charisma (stat) Boost|
|Discern Symbiosis||SYMBIOSIS DISCERN||false||Mental Matrices||7.5||Wisdom (stat) Boost|
|Explore Symbiosis||SYMBIOSIS EXPLORE||false||Survivalist||7.5||Athletics skill Boost|
|Watch Symbiosis||SYMBIOSIS WATCH||false||Survivalist||7.5||Perception skill Boost|
|Harvest Symbiosis||SYMBIOSIS HARVEST||false||Survivalist||7.5||Skinning skill Boost|
|Heal Symbiosis||SYMBIOSIS HEAL||false||Survivalist||7.5||First Aid skill Boost|
|Learn Symbiosis||SYMBIOSIS LEARN||false||Scholar||7.5||Scholarship skill Boost|
|Examine Symbiosis||SYMBIOSIS EXAMINE||false||Scholar||7.5||Appraisal skill Boost|
|Perform Symbiosis||SYMBIOSIS PERFORM||false||Scholar||7.5||Performance skill Boost|
|Cast Symbiosis||SYMBIOSIS CAST||false||Symbiotic Research||200||7.5||Primary Magic skill Boost|
|Harness Symbiosis||SYMBIOSIS HARNESS||false||Symbiotic Research||200||7.5||Attunement skill Boost|
|Activate Symbiosis||SYMBIOSIS ACTIVATE||false||Symbiotic Research||200||7.5||Arcana skill Boost|
*This is the base time with a minimum mana Gauge Flow. More mana will reduce the time required.
Other actions during research
The following states prevent research from being started:
The following states will be broken upon starting a research project:
- being hidden (N.B.: Invisibility does not break when starting research)
The following actions interrupt research:
- Attacking or being attacked (you can engage and retreat freely)
- Cast command
- Charge command
- Hide command
- Locksmithing in general: both DISARMing and PICKing
- Mine command (although you can still PROSPECT)
- PAYing debt
- Play command
- Prepare command
- Study command
- Swim command
The following actions can be performed during research (although not all are intentional):
- maintaining a cyclic spell
- harnessing mana
- Summoning the different planes (SUMMON ADMITTANCE, etc)
- focusing on magical items
- invoking cambrinth, gaethzen, and runestones
- releasing mana or spell effects
- teaching or listening to a class
- perceiving mana or health
- Empathic healing: TOUCH and TAKE
- tending wounds
- climbing, including CLIMB PRACTICE
- Moving through water using cardinal directions (and not using SWIM)
- Braiding grass/vines
- appraising items
- assessing instruments
- wiping a wet instrument (and wringing the cloth after)
- Training stats
- Using a sanowret crystal
- Crafting (so long as you don't need to study instructions)
- smelting metal
- Repairing Items
The following actions cannot be performed at all during research:
- starting an appraisal focus project
- [Research] You tentatively reach out and begin manipulating the mana streams, testing their give and the amount of energy coursing through them.
- [Symbiosis] You start to research <option> symbiosis.
- [Research] You continue to flex the mana streams.
- [Symbiosis] You continue to research <option> symbiosis.
- You make definite progress in your <option> <Research/symbiosis project> and decide to take a break. However, there is still more to learn before you arrive at a breakthrough.
If your project is interrupted (see Other actions during research), you forfeit all progress made for that research period. For example, if you were researching Warding for 300 seconds and are interrupted 259 seconds in, you lose all progress made during that period. You can also choose abandon a portion with RESEARCH CANCEL.
- Distracted by your devices, you forget what you were researching.
- Distracted by your spellcasting, you forget what you were researching.
Project Completion (Breakthrough!)
The following messaging appears when you finish a research project.
- [Augmentation Research] Breakthrough! You have woven an Augmentation pattern that had previously escaped your grasp.
- [Fundamental Research] Breakthrough! You have a novel insight into the nature of spellcasting. While it probably won't make you famous, it will surely come in handy with practical magic.
- [Stream Research] Breakthrough! The mana streams dance in front of your magical senses and, at least in their present configuration, you understand the nature of their warp and weave.
- [Utility Research]Breakthrough! You have woven a Utility pattern that had previously escaped your grasp.
- [Warding Research] Breakthrough! You have built a ward with previously unknown cleverness and strength.
If you go too long between research portions, you will forget some of what you have researched.
- As time passes, you forget some of the finer points about your project about <research project>.
If too long passes without continuing your research, you will abandon the project entirely. You can also abandon a project by doing RESEARCH CANCEL while you are not doing portion research.
- You decide to stop researching Fundamental Research.
- You have abandoned your research project entirely.
- [Symbiosis] You recall the exact details of the <option> symbiosis, preparing to integrate it with the next spell you cast.
- [Skill Bonus] Familiar streams of magic blend with the weave of your <spell> spell, and you sense an increase in your knowledge of <skill>.
- [Stat Bonus] Familiar streams of magic blend with the weave of your Ethereal Shield spell and you feel your <stat> increase.
- [Symbiosis] You pause for a moment as the details of the <option> symbiosis fade from your mind.