Scholarship is used to more effectively teach and learn from being taught. It is also used to determine how much information you can obtain from the Recall command. It may also have some other benefits especially for Moon Mages and Bards.
The following guilds have circle requirements in scholarship:
Spells and abilities that boost Scholarship
Spells and abilities that decrease Scholarship
Teaching is the art of conveying concepts and ideas to others in such way as to improve the students' ability in the subject being taught.
Student size is now as many as will listen in to the class. Scholarship ranks will impact how well one teaches, but virtually anyone can teach any class regardless of skill in the topic or scholarship skill.
Factors That Affect Experience Gained From Classes
- Scholarship ranks
- charisma: the bonus is linear
- intelligence: the bonus is linear
- wisdom: plays a small role; the bonus is linear
- whether the teacher and student belong to the same guild
- whether the teacher and student are of the same race
- The Bard spell Faenella's Grace boosts scholarship and reduces the time between teaching pulses.
- For purposes of experience earned for teaching a class, only one F2P character in the class will count regardless of the number of F2P characters in the class.
Room-based bonuses to teaching were removed on 4/4/2015.
- "They were extremely inconsistent and poorly implemented anyhow, so I doubt this will have any practical ramifications, but I'm including it for the sake of transparency. (It gave bonuses based off key words in the name of rooms for example...)" --GM Raesh (4/4/2015)
Teaching Supernatural Skills
|Skill||Who Can Teach||Who Can Learn|
|Augmentation||all except Commoners||all except Commoners*|
|Debilitation||all except Commoners||all except Commoners*|
|Utility||all except Barbarians and Commoners||all except Barbarians and Commoners*|
|Warding||all except Commoners and Thieves||all except Commoners and Thieves*|
|Attunement||magic users||magic users|
|Holy Magic||Clerics, Paladins||magic users**|
|Life Magic||Empaths, Rangers||magic users**|
|Elemental Magic||Warrior Mages, Bards||magic users**|
|Lunar Magic||Moon Mages, Traders||magic users**|
|Arcane Magic||Necromancers||magic users**|
|Sorcery||magic users||magic users|
|Targeted Magic||magic users||magic users|
|Astrology||Moon Mages||Moon Mages|
|Summoning||Warrior Mages||Warrior Mages|
|Thanatology||N/A (Cannot be taught.)||-|
*Magic users can teach each other at normal efficiency, as can Barbarians teaching Barbarians and Thieves teaching Thieves. Between magic users and non-magic users, the class is least efficient. Classes between Barbarians and Thieves are at the mid-point.
**When teaching primary magic, if the teacher and student are attuned to different frequencies of mana, the student will learn sorcery instead of primary magic. This does not trigger justice like an actual Sorcery class does.
Teaching in Combat
As of 4/4/2015, all guilds can teach only the following skills in combat:
- all armor skills
- all weapon skills
- targeted magic
- Barbarians can teach expertise to fellow Barbarians.
- Thieves can teach backstab to fellow Thieves.
- Paladins can teach conviction to fellow Paladins.
- scholarship can be learned by OBSERVING any class that can be taught during combat.
- "I was asked to even out the teaching perk to all lore primaries instead of benefiting just Bards." --GM Raesh (4/4/2015)
- "Learning even more skills while in combat is the reverse of what we want to be encouraging." --GM Raesh (4/4/2015)
The teacher must be visible in order to teach all but the following skills:
Teaching and the Justice Mechanics
While in a justice zone:
- Teaching or listening to thievery or sorcery will result in a charge of aiding and abetting unless both the teacher and student are in hiding.
- Teaching sorcery will result in a charge of forbidden practices.
The following activities teach scholarship:
- teaching a class of any subject
- listening to any class
- Teaching a class on scholarship is now wasteful, since any student can convert any ongoing class to his own personal scholarship class by using LISTEN TO [PLAYER] OBSERVE
- reading books at a library
- reading guild renown scrolls
- reading primers for bead carving
- studying crafting books
- studying art
- studying instructions for origami
- studying patterns for embroidery
- studying spellbooks
- studying anatomy charts (also teaches Empathy skill to Empaths and First Aid skill to all guilds)
- using the RECALL command
- reading enchantment scolls (Moon Mages only)
- studying trading ledgers (Traders only)
- sigil harvesting (also teaches Arcana and Outdoorsmanship)
- It is not necessary that one actually harvest a sigil; the PERCEIVE SIGIL command can teach scholarship twice in a given room, once each for the primary and secondary sigil when they are found.