Composed of rock, the gargoyle is a statue come to life at the hand of an ambitious mage. Mostly irate at the world and grumbling to itself about anything from the state of the Elven nation to the weather, the gargoyle does not look so much inclined to fight as it is to curl up in a corner and look frightening. Still, it knows its task as a protector of its creator's domain, and will do its best to keep invaders from treading on its turf.
Very similar in most respects to granite gargoyles, quartz gargoyles are more challenging foes. They have higher attributes, are more skilled combatants and seem to hit significantly harder than their granite kin.
Quartz gargoyles inhabit the Talas Sagamat mine in Fang Cove. The area is indoors so they start advancing at pole range and usually spawn in packs of two. The area is only accessible by Estate Holders. Although non-estate holders can join the sea mammoth to Fang Cove, only estate holders may leave the building where the mammoth docks.
- Defensive skills in the high 160s to low 170s lock relatively quickly yet allow for safe mining even when engaged with four in melee. Mining dangers pose the greater threat. (08/02/2016)
- Weapon skills at 140 hit more often then not. (08/02/2016)
- Weapons and defenses slowing at ~185 ranks. Soft caps at 190 ranks, after that mindstate seldom went above dabbling (1/34). (06/24/2014)
- Skinning: Mostly fails on skins with single arrange at 135. Consistent perfect skins (full arrange) and quick locking at 250. (08/02/2016) Still locks skinning with arranging at 280 (2/14/17) Full arrange + skin teaches slowly at 305 (3/25/17)
- Tactics: Hard cap at 243 with no soft cap - (34/34) at 242; (0/34) at 243 (05/16/2017).
- Locksmithing: Boxes are tough at 137.
- Ranger with 110 locksmithing/28 refl/28 agi and using HOL having no trouble with careful picking. (12/1/2016)
- Perception: Hard cap at 550 via HUNT. (3/3/2020)
- APPRAISE CAREFUL info: NONE.
Quartz gargoyles are immune to physical stuns.
Unlike their granite breathen, quartz gargoyles are not immune to Ice Patch.
- Strength - is not quite/somewhat less than 30
- Agility - is not quite/somewhat less than 30
- Discipline - is not quite/somewhat less than 30
- Reflex - is not quite/somewhat less than 30
- Stamina - is not quite/somewhat less than 30
Some appraise at not quite in all stats and others at somewhat less.
- it is wearing nothing.
- it is carrying nothing.
- 160 Locksmithing / 230 Perception / 30 Agility: (6) minor troubles - (9) odds against you
- 170 Locksmithing / 270 Perception / 30 Agility: (4) simple matter - (8) has edge on you
- 180-200 Locksmithing / 280-305 Perception / 30 Agility: (3) trivially constructed - (8) has edge on you
Box Values - Common: 1-3 gold / Uncommon: 4-20 gold / Rare: 3-7 plat. (05/27/2017)
- Common (95/100) boxes contain 0-9 copper, 0-9 bronze, 0-9 silver and 0-3 gold coins and/or 0-2 gems (valued at 0.4 to 3 gold each) along with occasional miscellaneous items.
- Uncommon (3/100) boxes contain 4-9 gold coins plus change and/or a gem valued at 4-11 gold.
- Rare (2/100) boxes contain 1-4 platinum coins plus change and a gem valued at 1.8 to 4 plat.
- ARRANGE INFO: The gargoyle can be arranged to produce a skin.
Skin (quartz hide)
- Unarranged max value: 256 Dokoras. High Quality (70) - work loose a sterling example of a quartz hide
- Arranged max value: 294 Dokoras. Perfect Quality (99) - retrieve a perfect hide
- Spawn: A loud stomping sound fills the air as a quartz gargoyle comes clomping in.
- Entrance: Muttering fills the air as a quartz gargoyle stomps in.
- Exit: A quartz gargoyle stomps <direction>, muttering to itself.
- Death1: A quartz gargoyle grumbles and falls over with a *THUD*.
- Death2: A quartz gargoyle grumbles and goes still.
- Decay: A quartz gargoyle's statuesque form turns to dust and fades away.
Reflecting on the quartz gargoyle, you recall that you once heard that creatures are the product of magical experiments to create non-living servants.
They are not known to cast any recognized spells.
They are known to carry loot in locked boxes.