The dire bear's hypnotic effect of swinging its head from side to side is dispelled when you realize that you have encountered a foe with sharp claws, powerful jaws, and quick reflexes.
Dire Bears are much harder foes than their neighboring Silver-backed Bears. Someone who can dance four Silver-backed Bears will, unfortunately, die in three to four hits from a dire bear. They are approximately as strong as Shaggy Black Barghests (daytime barghests), but with better spawn.
- Low range on defenses is 110 minimum, and even then, without decent supernatural or magic defenses you're going to have a bad time. Probably closer to 120 for more than one or two and they spawn quickly.
- Defensive learning slows noticeably at 150, significantly at 160, and soft caps (1/34) by 170. (7/31/2016)
- Bottom cap for offenses around 70.
- Tactics: Hard cap (0/34) at 202 with no Soft cap. (7/31/2016)
- Teaches skinning great at 160, but still not getting perfect pelts.
- Locked skinning (full arrange) thru 249. Stopped locking at 250, but still teaching fine at 251. (7/31/2016)
- APPRAISE CAREFUL info: NONE.
- Strength - is about 20
- Agility - is about 20
- Discipline - is about 20
- Reflex - is about 20
- Stamina - is about 20
- ARRANGE INFO: The bear can be arranged to produce a skin, part or bone.
Skin (bear pelt)
- Unarranged max value: 548 Kronars. High Quality (70) - work loose a sterling example of a bear pelt
- Arranged max value: 606 Kronars. Perfect Quality (99) - retrieve a perfect pelt
Part (bear paw)
- Unarranged max value: 531 Kronars. Quality (N/A) - skillfully remove a bear paw
- Arranged max value: 602 Kronars. Quality (N/A) - retrieve a perfect paw
Bone (bear bones)
- Unarranged max value: N/A
- Arranged max value: 602 Kronars. Perfect Quality (99) - retrieve some perfect bones
- Spawn: A dire bear lumbers in.
- Entrance: A dire bear saunters in, swinging its head from side to side.
- Exit: A dire bear saunters <direction>.
- Death1: A dire bear growls one last time and collapses.
- Death2: A dire bear growls low and dies.
- Decay: A dire bear rots away into nothingness.
You recall everything noteworthy about a dire bear... which is apparently nothing.
They are not known to cast any recognized spells.
They are not known to carry loot in locked boxes.