|Prerequisites:||Necrotic Reconstruction, and either Philosopher's Preservation, Calcified Hide, or Worm's Mist|
|Mana Type:||Arcane Magic|
|Spell Type:||metamagic / -|
|Description:||Among the most esoteric forms of transcendental magic are the dead patterns, which only those who have thrown off life may cast. Spiteful Rebirth is regarded as the most useful of this strange magic, which has the humble goal of defeating death itself.
Through Spiteful Rebirth, a Necromancer can replicate the iconic ability of liches to rise bodily from death with nothing but his own magic. Properly used, it knits together the corpse, then forces its heart to beat, nerves to flare and countless other somatic actions which resuscitate the dead from physical principles. The soul is said to "snap back" upon the restoration of life -- though this process is far from pleasant and leaves the Necromancer crippled for some time. Liches are said to gain some special benefit from this magic, but we do not know what, precisely, that is.
The seeming miraculous nature of this spell makes it the most... philosophically contentious of those we agree to teach. Some Philosophers regard it as spiritual necromancy for its treatment of the soul and steadfastly avoid its demonic taint. Others regard mastery of physical resuscitation as a vital preliminary to understanding the greater Alchemy of Flesh. If nothing else, Spiteful Rebirth is the worst possible thing to bring up in polite conversation.
|Effect:||Self-raise via DEPART DEATH.|
You play with the spell pattern in your mind, but stop short of preparing it. As one of the dead patterns, its magic is useless to the living.
- With the spell learned, Necromancers may DEPART DEATH to resuscitate themselves with no memory loss. This temporarily cripples the Necromancer with a potent version of Death's Sting and brings him back at the very brink of life, but it allows him to remain in full control of his possessions and location. There are limits to how often a living necromancer can DEPART DEATH: there's a hard limit per 24 hour period based on his Spirit Health and Stamina, and a short-term limit that he cannot use it again while still laboring under the Death's Sting from a previous death.
- There is no RT involved with using this spell, you can DEPART DEATH and immediately leave a dangerous situation.
- This spell is not pre-cast like Murrula's Flames it is invoked via DEPART DEATH.
- When raised by this spell, the target has a chance to keep a memorized spell scroll and will retain some field experience. The chance of retaining and amount of field experience is static.
- Using this spell twice, or with Call from Beyond will result in becoming forsaken, and a death at the hands of the Immortals. Once a forsaken, you will not suffer a death at the hand of the Immortals other than for Divine Outrage.
- If killed with Harm Evil, Harm Horde or a Cleric's SACRIFICE ability, the ability to use Spiteful Rebirth is blocked with the messaging: Your body is wracked with holy malignance, shackling you with this decaying form.
- You can PREPARE SRE in order to gain functional information about your rebirth power. This includes whether or not you can do it, whether it's your last resuscitation for awhile, whether you'll be healed upon use, if you are under a reduction due to recent resuscitation and how long until said reduction wears off.