Small Edged skill
Small Edged training is required for Necromancers, but said requirement is relatively low.
Spells and abilities that boost Small Edged
- Chirurgia (Necromancer)
- Dragon Form (Barbarian)
- Khri Strike (Thief)
- Mantle of Flame (Warrior Mage)
- Oath of the Firstborn (Ranger)
- Righteous Wrath (Paladin)
Spells and abilities that decrease Small Edged
Small edged weapons
There are two weapon classes that fall under this skill:
- light edged
- medium edged
Light Edged weapons include daggers, knives, katars, and anything else smaller than a standard sword with a cutting or stabbing edge. Light Edged weapons tend to have extremely high balance, making them ideal for parrying. They're also a common offhand choice, as all guilds can wield light edged, light blunt, and short staff weapons. Light edged weapons tend to come in slicing and thrusting varieties, the former more defensive, the latter ideal for backstabs and ambushes.
Particularly useful for thieves who backstab, light edged has recently, thanks to a wider choice of weapons, become fairly popular among all guilds.
Medium edged weapons are fairly similar to light edged, falling into a basic pattern of being either geared toward slicing or thrusting. While lacking the power of heavy and twohanded edged weapons, they trade only a minor amount of weight and balance to far outpace light edged weapons in terms of damage.
While most of the weapons are swords of one sort or another, there are a few hand axes. These weapons are intended as an alternative with lower balance and higher strength suitability, but are generally lackluster.
- Barbarians can WHIRLWIND with any pole or melee weapon. This will attack all targets within range of their chosen weapon (melee or pole), including hidden targets. Hidden targets will be pulled from hiding if hit by whirlwind. WHIRL can also be used on one's self or another to free the target from webbing. Requirements: 350 in the weapon skill and 32 agility.
- Barbarians and Paladins can parry ranged weapons inside the range of the weapon they are holding.
- With a light edged or medium edged weapon, a Thief may make a backstab attack, which is a special sort of ambush that deals increased damage. Light edged weapons tend to be more accurate, but less damaging.
- Thieves are also capable of using ambush slash using a light edged weapon, a crippling attack that targets an opponents legs.
- The default pattern for a Moonblade is medium edged, and Moon Mages have a few abilities that will not work on some of the other patterns.
- Thieves, Clerics, Rangers, Bards and Warrior Mages can wield medium edged and medium blunt weapons in their offhand, thanks to being weapon secondary. As the only weapon prime guild, Barbarians also have access to this ability, and can wield even larger weapons offhand. All guilds can wield a light edged weapon in their offhand.
- a ivory-hilted jambiya (Great LE slicer)
- a finely balanced tago (Decent, easily available LE jabber)