There are currently Enchanting Society halls in Crossing, Riverhaven, Shard, Hibarnhvidar, and Fang Cove.
- PUT the item to be enchanted on a brazier.
- WAVE a mana fount at the item
- Imbue the item with either an Imbue spell, or an imbuement rod.
- STUDY an appropriate sigil and TRACE it onto the item.
- SCRIBE the item with a burin.
- Imbue the item with either a second Imbue spell, or an imbuement rod.
- Brazier - The platform upon which Artificing occurs; The "workbench" of the Artificer. Useable braziers can be found in an Enchanting Society and portable founts can be created by Artificers.
- Mana fount - Used at the start of a project to direct energy into the item. Each fount has a limited number of uses.
- Burin - Used to scribe sigils onto an item.
- Augmenting loop - Occasionally used while scribing to correct for mistakes in the sigil scribing process.
- Imbuement rod (has charges, optional) - Used to imbue an the item at the beginning and the end of the artificing process. (Spellcasters may use the Imbue spell in lieu of using an imbuement rod.)
All artificing crafting tools can be created by via artificing. Portable braziers are the only tool that can not be purchased at an Enchanting Society, though each society does have immobile braziers available for use.
Sigil Gathering Tools
- Burin - Used to SCRIBE a sigil onto a blank scroll.
- Blank scrolls - A stack of scrolls for holding sigils. Available for purchase at Enchanting Societies.
- Sigil book - A book for storing and organizing many sigils efficiently. Available for purchase at Enchanting Societies.
One of the key components of enchanting are sigils.
These can be collected in most rooms across the realms. An overview of the process and sigil types can be found on the Sigil harvesting page. A few may also be purchased from Enchanting Society Crafting Halls.
A sigil-scroll will have 2 metrics that determine the overall quality, Clarity & Precision.
Clarity or Quality is similar to other materials, and will factor into the overall finished quality of your enchanted piece.
Precision is a metric unique to sigils and determines the crafting effectiveness. (GM Kodius post) The precision, used for calculations to determine the potency of an enchantment, will be an average of all the sigils used in your crafting project. For example, let's say you had sigils of 40, 50 & 80 precision, that would create an average functional precision for the project of 170 / 3 = 56 precision. (GM Kodius post)
- Enchanting tools: Burins, founts, loops, and braziers as well as various devices that let NMUs enchant items.
- Ritual Foci and TM Foci (*Potentially Sorcery Foci)
- Runestones/Wands (limited-use magic items containing a single spell)
- Nemirro stones
- Attribute rings
- Retconned Moon Mage enchantments including gweths and gwethsmashers
Foci start with Holy (it is the most difficult). Each type unlocks the crafting ability for Foci of that mana type. Combined Foci allow for multi-mana ritual foci. Weaponized Foci are TM Foci and other things we have in mind. Exotic Foci may refer to Sorcerous Foci someday.
Discussed in detail in Focus (item).
Founts are tools used during enchanting that control how the completed enchantment manages mana. Founts change the complexity (size) of the enchantment. The easier-to-use and longer-lasting enchantments will not "fit" on anything less than a material with high enchantability. In this way, Artificing is like Blacksmithing. They'll be producing the lion's share of tools for the trade.
There will be at least 2 types of runes in the new system.
- Simple Runes - items that when used prepare the spell stored at a fixed prep. They have a discrete number of uses. These will most likely be the actual 'runestone' in game.
- Complex Runes - items that when used prepare the spell stored at a user chosen prep. They have a power level that is depleted with each use by an amount equivalent to the chosen prep. If the user chosen prep is greater than the remained power level, the rune is depleted fully and the spell is not prepared. These can conceivably be made from any item hard and solid enough to contain the conductive strands, like an amulet.
The magic 2.0 type of rune, which blends adjusting power levels with discrete charges, will no longer exist.