|Mana Type:||Lunar Magic|
|Spell Type:||standard / utility, area of effect|
|Prep (min/max):||15 / 100|
|Skill Range (min/max):||80 / 800|
|Valid Spell Target:||Self, Area|
|Description:||The Shadowling spell summons a tiny shadow creature. It has a will of its own, is unpredictable, and will ignore any attempt to command it, but its small size and lack of power make it harmless. While a shadowling is near, Moon Mages find it easier to recover their attunement than normal.
Recent research into the nature of shadow creatures has yielded some interesting results. One of which is the ability to invoke your shadowling which will cause it to be subsumed by your shadow, protecting it from daylight and other threats.
|Effect:||+Attunement pool, Attunement heal, Lunar magic users only|
|Example Messaging:||You gesture.
Bright golden light flares for a moment. When it fades, it leaves behind the diminutive phantasmal form of a shadowling.
- Creates a shadowling creature: The shadowling looks very much like a black-furred kitten, except for a pair of batlike wings protruding from its back, and tiny grasping six-fingered paws, complete with opposable thumbs. Its pale eyes dart about furtively, seeking out threats to its wellbeing as well as opportunities for mischief.
- Comes in several personalities: skittish, playful, mean, vain, lovable, and sleepy.
- The shadowling increases the maximum attunement pool size of lunar magic users and will help lunar magic users regain attunement. The more mana is put into the spell, the more the attunement pool and regeneration are increased. This regeneration comes in the form of additional large pulses of attunement regeneration approximately once every 30 seconds, rather than by increasing the base regeneration pulse size.
- It will run away quickly if the sun is out, but can still be used indoors during the daytime.
- If more than one shadowling is summoned in a room at a time, one will disappear or be chased off.
- INVOKING your Shadowling will cause it to enter your shadow, protecting if from daylight and shadowlings, and granting it portability. It will no longer be a room-wide buff, however.
- INVOKING your shadow when a shadowling is contained within it will cause it to return to room you are in. This will re-enable it as a non-portable room-wide buff, but subject it daylight and other shadowlings.
- The duration of an invoked shadowling is 15-105 minutes and is based on the time you created the shadowling, not the time you invoked it. Invoking a shadowling that has already exceeded the invoked duration will cause it to almost immediately leave.
- You can RELEASE SHADOWLING to dismiss a shadowling that you have summoned or invoked.
- Shadowlings do not survive in water.
- Depending on its personality type, the shadowling can and will accept items from you as well as pick up items off of the ground to play with. This can result in item loss, so be careful what you give to or drop around a shadowling.
- Shadowlings will babble random nonsense occasionally. There are also traps that will cause people to babble in the same way.
- Shadowlings that have been subsumed into your shadow still have their personality and it will appear as if your shadow is babbling, purring, growling, etc.