Read the Ripples quest
|This article reveals in-game secrets, spoilers, walkthroughs, or other information not intended for general knowledge in-game.|
- 50th Circle
- 2 open spell slots
- You must know the Seer's Sense spell
- This quest is extremely unforgiving, you will likely die at least once if not more. Bring favors.
- It can be done any time of the day or night.
- Knowing Tenebrous Sense or having a light source (torch, gaethzen, etc) will make it easier to find your way in and out of the Unfathomable Grotto
- Knowing Piercing Gaze will make it possible to complete this quest when there is cloud cover
- Knowing Clear Vision and Aura Sight will also make observations easier and reduce the likelihood of a failed observation
- If you interrupt the ritual, you will have to die to get a new fragment and begin again.
- If you really want to make this quest easy, get a bard to use sanctuary in the obelisk room.
- Before you begin, completely fill your prediction pools.
- NOTE: You do NOT need to fill your future events prediction pool; just the 5 skillset prediction pools.
- Travel to the Shard Moon Mage Guild (in the Great Tower) and ASK MORTOM ABOUT RTR SPELL
- Mortom adjusts his monocle and says, "You seek forgotten lore, do you? Or is it forgotten?" He smiles softly, "And if not, why do we not teach it openly?" He draws you close and continues in a barely audible whisper, "I would start your search in the Dragonspine Mountains, but do not trust what you find there." He releases you and starts to turn to his mirrors before hesitating, "Do take care, I would not lose a promising student such as yourself."
- Go to the [The Frozen Heavens, Unfathomable Grotto]. This is where the obelisk is.
- Optional: This room is dark, you should use Tenebrous Sense or bring a light source.
- For Genie users, go to Genie Map 62, Roomid 171
- For Lich users, narost Map 62, Roomnumber: 11753 then east twice.
- Do not linger in the obelisk room. Get in. Do your thing. Get out.
- STUDY OBELISK
- An oily voice oozes from the obelisk, slowly filling your mind, "Freely listen to me... free, help me, free me. I need you. Betrayed. Betray you. You trapped me, me, me, ME. Listen. LISTEN. Save me. Must save me. Save rewards, yes. Quickly... Listen..." the voice trails off to a malicious whisper, until that too fades from your hearing.
- LISTEN OBELISK
- The voice oozes into your mind, "Wait. I know you, I know your lineage. Use you. Yes."
- Static violates your mind, rasping over your thoughts.
- "You seek power. You always do, heedless. Another set of footsteps in a groove so deep it threatens the foundations of creation. This suits. Prepare your mind, infuse it with perspicacity." A nigh-infinite skein of unfamiliar stars floods your visions before fading into a crepuscule sky. "A splinter of your freedom. That is my price." As the voice withdraws, you find yourself kneeling before the obelisk, your forehead pressed to the chill surface.
- At this point you will be kneeling, with some spirit and concentration loss.
- LISTEN OBELISK
- Terrible psychic pain burns through you as unseen hands recklessly rummage through your mind, seeking, always seeking. Your psyche is torn asunder as a fragment of you, your destiny, is ripped away.
- The now familiar voice seeps into the gaping hole in your memories, "What is this morsel? Even a meager vessel such as you can hold more! Fill yourself before you return! A temptation. A mockery. Freedom denied. Trapped. You trapped me. All of you, the same." The voice trails off in a sob as the psychic pain ebbs away.
- A milky white fragment coalesces in your right hand.
- At this point you will be laying/prone, with significant spirit and concentration loss.
- Do NOT listen to the obelisk a third time. You will die from spirit loss.
- Do NOT stow the fragment. Hold it in your hand.
- Go to a safe room where you will not be attacked and are under open sky (not indoors).
- SIT or KNEEL
- Don't stand back up until you finish the observations. If this phase of the quest is interrupted (standing, dying, etc.) you will need to start over completely. Your observation pool was partially drained by the fragment.
- Optional: Wait for your concentration to return to full and then cast Piercing Gaze, Clear Vision, and Aura Sight
- If you do not have Piercing Gaze, make sure the skies are clear and will remain clear for the next 20 minutes via Predict Weather.
- INVOKE FRAGMENT
- You gaze towards the heavens, seeking their silent guidance while firmly gripping your white fragment
- At the ritual's peak, your prophetic connection blooms a thousand-fold. You are alone. An infinitesimal speck in space and time adrift in an infinite sea of possibility. The course of your past, present and future are dictated by ceaseless currents beyond any mortal control.
- But infinitesimal is not insignificant, and control is not understanding. These are indisputable facts etched into the essence of every prophet.
- As your consciousness drifts amongst the currents of Fate, you find yourself drawn towards the planet Ismenia.
- Wait for something like this message. This is not the exact message. As your consciousness drifts amongst the currents of Fate, you find yourself drawn towards <celestial object>.
- OBSERVE <CELESTIAL OBJECT> IN SKY
- To help resolve parser issues try OBSERVE ELANTHIAN SUN and/or OBSERVE <CELESTIAL OBJECT> IN SKY
- Do not stow the fragment, do not use a telescope
- You may find utilizing this script easier to make your Read the Ripples observations.
- Repeat the previous two steps until the spell ends.
- As your ritual ebbs away, you find yourself returned to a world of immutable, indisputable facts. Things that are, are, and things that are not, are not. A faint dissatisfaction lingers with you, for you are still alone, infinitesimal.
- Make sure your observe was successful. If you see the messaging "You see nothing regarding the future.", observe again!
- You should see the following messaging: A faint, sterile light begins to emanate from a milky white fragment.
- STAND and return to [The Frozen Heavens, Unfathomable Grotto]
- GIVE OBELISK
- The oily voice, flush with chthonic tones, intrudes upon your mind, "Destiny! Absolution... reward. Give it to me!"
- The fragment dims as a cascade of colors pulses within the obelisk.
- FOCUS FRAGMENT
- A sense of understanding and wonder fills and you feel on the brink of a deeper understanding of the heavens. You're certain you could unlock this secret with further study of the fragment.
- [Learning the Read the Ripples spell will require two spell slots.]
- STUDY FRAGMENT
- You gaze at the fragment, seeking beyond the physical, and discover layers upon layers of detailed formulae describing the relationship of a complex lunar ritual, the heavens and fate. You set yourself to memorizing these revelations until you are certain you could invoke them at will.
- [You have learned the Read the Ripples spell.]
- The fragment bursts into a cloud of frozen starlight which quickly dissipates.
- Roundtime: 30 sec.
- Asking other guildleaders about the spell will result in the following messaging:
- Lomtaun smiles softly and says, "Chasing rumors of forgotten knowledge is a trial we all go through. Some of us even find something at the end of our search, though many come to regret it. You should speak with Mortom or Tiv, they may be able to set you on a fruitful path."
- Cherulisa says, "Chasing rumors of forgotten knowledge is a trial we all go through. Some of us even find something at the end of our search, though many come to regret it. You should speak with Mortom or Tiv, they may be able to set you on a fruitful path."
- Gylwyn runs her fingers through her hair and says, "Chasing rumors of forgotten knowledge is a trial we all go through. Some of us even find something at the end of our search, though many come to regret it. You should speak with Mortom or Tiv, they may be able to set you on a fruitful path."
- Kssarh says, "Yet again you've failed to meet my expectations for you, meager though they are. Get back in the library and learn the proper names for our spells before I'm forced to invent a truly creative punishment like freezing you in a godsforsaken cave with a hostile extraplanar entity."