|Prerequisites:||Anther's Call and either Tingle, Arc Light, or Gar Zeng|
|Mana Type:||Elemental Magic|
|Spell Type:||standard / targeted|
|Prep (min/max):||15 / 100|
|Skill Range (min/max):||80 / 800|
|Valid Spell Target:||Self, PC|
|Duration (min/max):||2 minutes / 10 minutes|
|Description:||Magnetic Ballista allows you to shape the surrounding earth, rock, and mud into a potent siege engine known as a ballista. It uses a powerful natural force known as 'magnetism,' much like a giant lodestone. Be careful when it fires, for this force has a remarkable affect on metal armors and could pull small individuals to the ground! Luckily, a talented mage can reshape the ballista, rubbing it into a different shape that will not generate such a large area effect."|
"The ballista comes into existence loaded. Once it has fired the caster must continually maintain it, loading it magically each time. With a powerful enough ballista, however, you may be able to load an extra rock into the loading arm. Your ability to create this device will be based on your skill with utility magics, though all attacks by the Magnetic Ballista are derived from your skill at targetting magic. The caster may destroy his ballistae at any time by BREAKing them apart. The caster may also manually direct a ballista at a target by POINTing it at the desired victim.
|Effect:||Puncture damage, Impact damage, Creates a ballista that fires rocks.|
|Example Messaging:||You gesture.|
The bedrock rumbles and lurches as crumbling dirt and cracking stone solidify into a heavy earthen ballista.
A heavy earthen ballista shudders slightly and makes a noisy thrumming as it launches a large rock at a <creature>!
Deftly, you rub your hand across the earthen ballista, reshaping it subtly so the magnetic pulse it generates flares up with every single shot.
- You cannot cast more than 1 in a given location. Other WMs can still add more to an area, but only one each.
- Rubbing the ballista is an arcana check which switches the 'jerk forward' effect from aoe to single target only. It no longer suffers an accuracy penalty from doing this.
- The initial shot is now the same as all the other shots.
- Ballistae no longer suffer from duration issues due to weather or ground conditions. The type of ballista that arrives is just for flavor and will last as long as any other type (though generally durations are a bit shorter). They still can't be cast in certain depths of water.
- Once a ballista switches to a new target, it will fire quicker than before.
- The range of ballista firing speed is a little longer between shots (based on potency). Maximum firing speed is accomplished well before 100% potency is reached.
- You can now dual load the ballista when you cast the spell at higher Potency. It will not fire both shots at once, but it will let you get two shots off in succession without having to load in between. The level of Potency required for this feat is less than the level that was required for the auto-load feature.
- Failed loading (arcana check) has a larger random aspect to it, and a RT. Loading RT can be reduced further than before through skill.
- LOAD, FOCUS, POINT, RUB and UNLOAD all require a free hand.
- Any Warrior Mage can load the ballista, which takes a tiny amount of mana.
- A ballista triggers the first strike mechanic when it is pointed at a target.
- The original caster can POINT a ballista with no target to clear its target.
- The original caster can UNLOAD a ballista, which is only useful when it auto-loads and you don't want to watch it fire rocks into the air every 10 seconds.
- MAB is considered a signature spell, so it will not be reflected by Aether Cloak, though it's targeting will be degraded.
Reinforce Stone will bolster the duration of a ballista:
You gesture at the earthen ballista, and it glows briefly. Focusing your cantrip on the earthen ballista, you examine its magical pattern and attempt to reinforce the elemental structure where it is crumbling. After your manipulations, you sense that the duration of the earthen ballista has been extended from about 5 roisaen to about 11 roisaen.
You sense that your manipulations of the earthen ballista will prevent casting this cantrip on it for about 10 roisaen.
Roundtime: 1 sec.
This will also add a line to the FOCUS:
You sense the lingering pattern of the Reinforce Stone cantrip binding the elemental lattice together. The pattern should fade in about 10 roisaen, after which you will once again be able to cast the cantrip on the earthen ballista.
Max duration with cantrip is 20 minutes, with 14 minutes until you can recast the cantrip.