If memory serves, this bowl is tool used by Moon Mages to scry into the future. You remember that bowls carved with such sigils are divination tools used by Moon Mages and preferred by those mages that call themselves the Prophets of G'Nar Peth. Traditionally carved from a single piece of sandstone and etched with the mysterious sigils only Moon Mages seem to understand, scrying bowls are used by mages trained in astrology as a tool for divination. It is said that the first bowls were filled with water from the Garden of G'Nar Peth, though whether that is a legend held by the Prophets themselves or merely a tale told by outsiders is unclear.
As with any prediction tool, the mage must INVOKE a bond with a divination bowl before it can be used to make a prediction:
>invoke my bowl
You cautiously extend your prophetic talent towards your starstone bowl. You find the vessel empty and allow your aptitude to flow into the bowl, completing it and leaving it prophetically aware.
Before use, the mage must FILL the divination bowl with water as a prophetic ingredient:
>fill my bowl with water
You fill the bowl with water.
The mage will only need to replace the water if the bowl experiences a critical fumble, which will dump the water from the bowl.
After making a successful observation of a celestial body:
- SHOW MY BOWL TO <PERSON>: To specify your prediction target. (2 seconds)
- GAZE MY BOWL: To perform a prediction upon that <person>. (10 seconds)
For more information, see the Prediction article.
- While holding the bowl in one hand, the second hand must be empty to swirl and manipulate the water during a prediction. Otherwise, the mage will need to empty the other hand and start over at the ALIGN step.
- If a bowl without water is used for a prediction, the messaging will alert the mage as to what is wrong:
>gaze my bowl
You gaze at a starstone bowl fitted to a clockwork base, but get the feeling something is missing.
- Bowl role playing verbs that work only or message differently for G'nar Pethians: DROOL at, KISS, PAT, and WINK.
Raesh once said that he believed that bowls would give a slight bonus to lore predictions.
Potency damage is indicated by the porosity of the sandstone.
- The stone's porosity is reminiscent of mistglass.
- The stone is unbelievably porous.
- The stone is extremely porous.
- The stone is very porous.
- The stone is rather porous.
- The stone has an above average porosity.
- The stone is of average porosity.
- The stone has a below average porosity.
- The stone is rather nonporous.
- The stone is very nonporous.
- The stone is extremely nonporous.
- The stone is completely nonporous.
Duration damage manifests as the smoothness of the bowl's interior.
- The interior of the bowl is perfectly rounded, without the slightest bump or crack.
- The interior of the bowl is perfectly rounded.
- The interior of the bowl is exceptionally well-rounded and smooth.
- The interior of the bowl is very well-rounded.
- The interior of the bowl is well-rounded.
- The interior of the bowl is rounded.
- The interior of the bowl is worn in a few spots.
- The interior of the bowl is no longer round and has a few chips.
- The interior of the bowl is quite bumpy and uneven.
- The interior of the bowl has several cracks and chips.
- The interior of the bowl is marred by cracks and several large chips.
- The interior of the bowl is horrifically chipped and a large crack runs through the center.
Alignment damage can be determined by the brightness of the sigils.
- The six major sigils radiate brightly, the complex network between them is perfectly illuminated.
- The six major sigils radiate brightly like the sun.
- The six major sigils glow prominently, not unlike gaethzen.
- The six major sigils glow steadily like moonlight.
- The six major sigils twinkle like stars.
- The six major sigils glisten as parts of the sigils fade in and out.
- The six major sigils glow faintly as occasional shadows wind through the network.
- The six major sigils have become quite dim.
- The six major sigils fade in and out.
- The six major sigils struggle to remain illuminated.
- The six major sigils are damaged, giving off only a faint glimmer of light.
- The six major sigils are in terrible shape, stifled and barely luminescent.
Polarity damage is reflected in the shadows that appear.
- The inner rim instantly forms a perfect circle of shifting Katamba black.
- The inner rim is rapidly eclipsed by the shadows.
- The inner rim rapidly darkens.
- The inner rim ripples as it transitions to darkness.
- The inner rim turns a shadowy black.
- The inner rim fogs over with shadows.
- The inner rim is obscured by shadows plodding their way around its circumference.
- The inner rim leisurely darkens as shadows drift over its surface.
- The inner rim darkens with a noticeable delay.
- The inner rim takes a while before beginning to darken.
- The inner rim eventually grows dim.
- The inner rim takes what feels like an eternity to darken.
When you analyze the bowl, you will have a vision about a vessel. This reflects your bond with the bowl.
How full the vessel is with water.
Your mind's eye sees that vessel's water level is terribly low, mostly droplets at the bottom. (1/10)
Your mind's eye sees that vessel's water level just covers the bottom. (2/10)
Your mind's eye sees that vessel's water level is enough to dip your fingers into.(3/10)
Your mind's eye sees that vessel's water level is only about a quarter full.(4/10)
Your mind's eye sees that vessel's water level is less than half full.(5/10)
Your mind's eye sees that vessel's water level is filled about halfway.(6/10)
Your mind's eye sees that vessel's water level is mostly filled.(7/10)
Your mind's eye sees that vessel's water level is very full. (8/10)
Your mind's eye sees that vessel's water level is extremely-well filled, coming to just below the rim. (9/10)
Your mind's eye sees that vessel's water level is perfectly filled, the surface of the water domes slightly over the rim. (10/10)
The stillness of the water.
The surface of the water sloshes violently back and forth. (1/10)
The surface of the water climbs the sides of the vessel as it splashes about. (2/10)
The surface of the water bounces from side to side. (3/10)
The surface of the water undulates within the vessel. (4/10)
The surface of the water is criss-crossed with overlapping ripples. (5/10)
The surface of the water slowly ripples out from its the center. (6/10)
The surface of the water is relatively calm. (7/10)
The surface of the water is very still, reflections dancing on the surface. (8/10)
The surface of the water is extremely still, with only a slight waver in the reflections. (9/10)
The surface of the water is perfectly still, creating a gorgeous reflecting pool. (10/10)
The clarity of the water.
The liquid within the vessel is tenebrous and murky, blocking out anything beneath the surface. (1/10)
The liquid within the vessel swirls turbid and brown, obstructing the bottom. (Skill 2/10).
The liquid within the vessel looks like cream in coffee.(3/10)
The liquid within the vessel is dark and translucent.(4/10)
The liquid within the vessel is chalky like whey.(5/10)
The liquid within the vessel is semitransparent and hazy.(6/10)
The liquid within the vessel is partly clear with a pocket of white clouding. (7/10)
The liquid within the vessel is mostly clear and golden colored, like oil.(8/10)
The liquid within the vessel is crystal blue, like sea water.(9/10)
The liquid within the vessel is perfectly clear, like fresh spring water. (Skill 10/10).
Any debris in the water.
The water is terribly foul, with large pieces of floating debris.(1/10)
The water is riddled with suspended bits of dark debris.(2/10)
The water has small pebbles that have sunk to the bottom. (3/10)
The water is sandy.(4/10)
The water suspends threads of black debris.(5/10)
The water has chips of paint floating in it.(6/10)
The water is mostly strained of debris.(7/10)
The water is without debris, but some sediment has settled to the bottom.(8/10)
The water is almost flawless, without any obstructing debris.(9/10)
The water has been perfectly filtered, not even an air bubble clings to the bottom.(10/10)
Age and construction qualities
These are identical for all types of tools. See Prediction for a list of both.
A prediction's outcome can be interpreted from:
- The potency is reflected in the temperature of the water.
- The duration is seen in how long the ripples last.
- The skill is reflected in the primary sigils that illuminate during the prediction (see Skill messaging below)
- The polarity is seen in the color of the sigils.
|Primary Magic||Owl and Katamba|
|Attunement||Owl and Xibar|
|Arcana||Owl and the Sun|
|Targeted Magic||Owl and the Wolf|
|Augmentation||Owl and the Wolverine|
|Debilitation||Owl and the Shark|
|Utility||Owl and the Wren|
|Warding||Owl and the Lion|
|Sorcery||Owl and Katamba|
|Astrology||all the sigils|
|Summoning||Owl and the Wolf|
|Theurgy||Owl and the Ox|
- Note that Primary Magic and Sorcery share the same sigil combination (Owl and Katamba). It has not been confirmed whether this is intended or a bug.
|Forging||Wren and the Raven|
|Engineering||Wren and the Ox|
|Outfitting||Wren and the Cat|
|Alchemy||Wren and the Unicorn|
|Enchanting||Wren and the Wolf|
|Scholarship||Wren and the Owl|
|Appraisal||Wren and Xibar|
|Performance||Wren, Wren and Katamba|
|Tactics||Wren and the Lion|
|Bardic Lore||Wren and the Donkey|
|Empathy||Wren, Unicorn, and Xibar|
|Trading||Wren, Wren and Xibar|
|Small Edged||Coyote and the Cat|
|Large Edged||Coyote and the Lion|
|Twohanded Edged||Coyote and the Panther|
|Small Blunt||Coyote and the Weasel|
|Large Blunt||Coyote and the Viper|
|Twohanded Blunt||Coyote and the Shark|
|Slings||Coyote and the Boar|
|Bow||Coyote and the Nightingale|
|Crossbow||Coyote and the Dove|
|Staves||Coyote and the Dolphin|
|Polearms||Coyote and the Unicorn|
|Light Thrown||Coyote and the Wren|
|Heavy Thrown||Coyote and the Raven|
|Brawling||Coyote and the Wolverine|
|Offhand Weapon||Coyote and the Heron|
|Melee Mastery||Coyote and the Ox|
|Missile Mastery||Coyote and the Vulture|
|Expertise||Coyote and the Ram|
|Shield||Phoenix and the Wolverine|
|Light Armor||Phoenix and the Magpie|
|Chain Armor||Phoenix and the Weasel|
|Brigandine||Phoenix and the Viper|
|Plate Armor||Phoenix and the Albatross|
|Defending||Phoenix and the Boar|
|Parry Ability||Coyote and the Cobra|
|Conviction||Phoenix and the Lion|
|Evasion||Phoenix and the Scorpion|
|Athletics||Phoenix, Lion, and the Dolphin|
|Perception||Phoenix and Xibar|
|Stealth||Phoenix and Katamba|
|Locksmithing||Phoenix and the Raven|
|Thievery||Phoenix and the Panther|
|First Aid||Phoenix and the Unicorn|
|Outdoorsmanship||Phoenix and the Sun|
|Skinning||Phoenix and the Ram|
|Backstab||Phoenix and Katamba|
|Scouting||Phoenix, Ram, and the Cat|
- As far as is known, Thanatology predictions are impossible. Attempting an alignment on Thanatology will incur a stun, give an unclean soul, and trigger the following message:
Pain! A concept erupts from the back of your mind, cold and crushing. For a few, sharp moments you experience The End -- the death of stars and the deconstruction of fate as a metaphysical force.
The death of the universe orbits... something. Some force or some entity. Something you cannot see that you have an unconscious need not to.
It sees you.