If memory serves, this bowl is tool used by Moon Mages to scry into the future. You remember that bowls carved with such sigils are divination tools used by Moon Mages and preferred by those mages that call themselves the Prophets of G'Nar Peth. Traditionally carved from a single piece of sandstone and etched with the mysterious sigils only Moon Mages seem to understand, scrying bowls are used by mages trained in astrology as a tool for divination. It is said that the first bowls were filled with water from the Garden of G'Nar Peth, though whether that is a legend held by the Prophets themselves or merely a tale told by outsiders is unclear.
- Availability: Therenborough, Muspar'i
- Sect Affinity: Prophets of G'nar Peth
- Must be FILLed with water to function, which must be replaced after a fumble.
For general information on how predictions work see the Prediction article.
Like all prediction tools, before use the mage must know the ALIGN ability (learnable at 4th circle) and have made a successful observation. Furthermore, before the first use, the bowl must be RUBbed to bond it to the user. Syntax is to ALIGN <skill/skill set>, and then to GAZE BOWL. In order to predict on another the seer must SHOW the bowl to the target and then GAZE into it as before.
- You gaze into the bowl, your hand moving around its lip until it completes a full circle. You dip your fingers gently into the ice-cold water and raise them above the bowl. As the drops fall from your fingertips, they cause ripples which race across the surface. The water quickly grows still, leaving no trace of the disturbance. As you gaze into the water, it becomes illuminated by the white of the Owl and the Sun as their carvings glow steadily along the bowl's edge.
Potency damage is indicated by the porosity of the sandstone.
- The stone's porosity is reminiscent of mistglass.
- The stone is unbelievably porous.
- The stone is extremely porous.
- The stone is very porous.
- The stone is rather porous.
- The stone has an above average porosity.
- The stone is of average porosity.
- The stone has a below average porosity.
- The stone is rather nonporous.
- The stone is very nonporous.
- The stone is extremely nonporous.
- The stone is completely nonporous.
Duration damage manifests as the smoothness of the bowl's interior.
- The interior of the bowl is perfectly rounded, without the slightest bump or crack.
- The interior of the bowl is perfectly rounded.
- The interior of the bowl is exceptionally well-rounded and smooth.
- The interior of the bowl is very well-rounded.
- The interior of the bowl is well-rounded.
- The interior of the bowl is rounded.
- The interior of the bowl is worn in a few spots.
- The interior of the bowl is no longer round and has a few chips.
- The interior of the bowl is quite bumpy and uneven.
- The interior of the bowl has several cracks and chips.
- The interior of the bowl is marred by cracks and several large chips.
- The interior of the bowl is horrifically chipped and a large crack runs through the center.
Alignment damage can be determined by the brightness of the sigils.
- The six major sigils radiate brightly, the complex network between them is perfectly illuminated.
- The six major sigils radiate brightly like the sun.
- The six major sigils glow prominently, not unlike gaethzen.
- The six major sigils glow steadily like moonlight.
- The six major sigils twinkle like stars.
- The six major sigils glisten as parts of the sigils fade in and out.
- The six major sigils glow faintly as occasional shadows wind through the network.
- The six major sigils have become quite dim.
- The six major sigils fade in and out.
- The six major sigils struggle to remain illuminated.
- The six major sigils are damaged, giving off only a faint glimmer of light.
- The six major sigils are in terrible shape, stifled and barely luminescent.
Polarity damage is reflected in the shadows that appear.
- The inner rim instantly forms a perfect circle of shifting Katamba black.
- The inner rim is rapidly eclipsed by the shadows.
- The inner rim rapidly darkens.
- The inner rim ripples as it transitions to darkness.
- The inner rim turns a shadowy black.
- The inner rim fogs over with shadows.
- The inner rim is obscured by shadows plodding their way around its circumference.
- The inner rim leisurely darkens as shadows drift over its surface.
- The inner rim darkens with a noticeable delay.
- The inner rim takes a while before beginning to darken.
- The inner rim eventually grows dim.
- The inner rim takes what feels like an eternity to darken.
When you analyze the bowl, you will have a vision about a vessel. This reflects your bond with the bowl.
How full the vessel is with water.
The stillness of the water.
The clarity of the water.
Any debris in the water.
Age and construction qualities
These are identical for all types of tools. See Prediction for a list of both.
A prediction's outcome can be interpreted from:
- The potency is reflected in the temperature of the water.
- The duration is seen in how long the ripples last.
- The skill is reflected in the primary sigils that illuminate during the prediction (see Skill messaging below)
- The polarity is seen in the color of the sigils.
|Targeted Magic||light of the Owl and the Wolf|
|Scholarship||light of the Wren and the Owl|
|Shield||light of the Phoenix and the Wolverine|
|Evasion||light of the Phoenix and the Scorpion|
|Small Edged||light of the Coyote and the Cat|
|Large Edged||light of the Coyote and the Lion|
|Small Blunt||light of the Coyote and the Weasel|
|Slings||light of the Coyote and the Boar|
|Bow||light of the Coyote and the Nightingale|
|Crossbow||light of the Coyote and the Dove|
|Staves||light of the Coyote and the Dolphin|
|Light Thrown||light of the Coyote and the Wren|
|Heavy Thrown||light of the Coyote and the Raven|
|Brawling||light of the Coyote and the Wolverine|
|Offhand Weapon||light of the Coyote and the Heron|
|Melee Mastery||light of the Coyote and the Ox|
- RP verbs that only work or message differently for Pethians: DROOL, KISS, PAT, and WINK.
- Bowls require the second hand to be empty to use them. Furthermore attempting to predict without a free hand will force you to ALIGN again.