Anyone know if what you detect is based off empathy or power perception?
- Both. It's a simple average of the two skills, probably forming a base effective rank upon which all the other modifiers are applied. 50 PP and 0 Empathy is functionally the same as 39 PP and 11 Empathy, which is to say you're probably lucky to see even one non-hidden empath in 2000 attempts.--Symphaena 22:40, 10 April 2008 (CDT)
I'm playing an Empath character for the first time in a while, and came to this page to find how how much skill is needed for various success levels with perceive health. For instance, it first started working sporradically for my Empath at 25 empathy and 25 power perceive, and I'm wondering when the character will be able to perceive NPC's, non-empaths, et cetera. If this information is available, and if anyone else sees the need, it would be awesome to have it added to this article. Prime-Lorzelophia 18:24, 12 April 2008 (CDT)
Not sure when I started to notice creatures. I am at the point now that I am noticing empaths in adjacent rooms. I have 93 empathy, 160 power perceive. --Khazera 18:41, 12 April 2008 (CDT)
|25||empath, same room|
|50||non-empath, same room|
|75||critter, same room|
|100||details (disease, vitality, etc), same room|
|125||empath, +1 room away|
|150||non-empath, +1 room away|
|175||critter, +1 room away|
|200||details (disease, vitality, etc), +1 room away|
- I am very sure of the first item in that table (empaths same room = 25 rank average).
- With 163 Emp and 120 PP (141 rank average), as far as I know Symphaena in prime can still only see empaths 1 room away, which follows the table still. Another 19 ranks should prove this.
Obviously we need more data points, but from my perspective it doesn't look like the progression varies any. Basically, every 200 ranks you should be able to gain 1 more room out. --Symphaena 23:06, 12 April 2008 (CDT)
Ya, 125 sounds just right for when I started to see empaths in the next room. Great work Symphaena!
Holy crap, you guys are amazingly speedy. I know I could've just asked on the Simu forums but maybe eventually having it in the article will help some other future empath newb. Thanks for satisfying my curiousity! Prime-Lorzelophia 02:06, 13 April 2008 (CDT)
Agreed -- nice work! One point of clarification: the "+1 room" notation is not cumulative (at 200 average you won't be getting 4 rooms out). And some more data: At a 270 average, I can sense two rooms reliably (empaths, non-empaths, critters) and very occasionally pick up things three rooms out. I've also sensed dying a couple of times from the next room. --Ogoh 18:45, 14 April 2008 (CDT)
- Yeah, there seems to be a 10-point window wherein you can gain the next ability tier. Dunno if this is pure randomness or if stats are involved, though with as horridly rare as the success is going to be we can probably ignore it. I'll get that clarified more. Guess it's safe to assume the pattern is correct, then? If so, anyone have any details on the total sensing amount before you get overwhelmed? I know I didn't bother taking any notes on this aspect, but it might be a good thing to include in the article if we can at least partially nail that down.--Symphaena 21:07, 15 April 2008 (CDT)
- This subject came up on the boards a while ago and I don't think we were able to nail down a pattern so I think there are some factors in the equation that we're missing. Purehand recorded the best notes on when he passed certain thresholds as I recall. --Farman 23:49, 19 April 2008 (CDT)
For the record: My new empath has now sensed non-empaths with 60 PP, 63 Empathy and 13 Charisma. It is also very inconsistent and so far has only happened that one time. Prime-Lorzelophia 20:42, 23 April 2008 (CDT)
- Update: With 68 Empathy and 65 PP my Empath still only very sporradically senses non-empaths or NPCs. However, she also senses "a relatively healthy presence nearby." My suspicion is that NPCs, Non-Empath PC's and Creatures all happen at ~75 ranks.
--Prime-Lorzelophia 01:53, 26 April 2008 (CDT)
I agree, at 62 PP and 52 Empathy (57 avg), I can still only sense other empaths. I've tried it probably 20 times and can't detect non-empaths yet. --Khelek 23:31, July 17, 2009 (CDT)
- Update: With 70 PP and 63 Empathy I've been sensing non-empaths and creatures from time to time.--Khelek 00:44, 23 July 2009 (UTC)
I couldn't see others at 59 average ranks, but as soon as I hit 60 average I started to (occasionally) see non empaths.Seped 03:09, 1 May 2011 (UTC)
Disease is "black streaks" The presence of disturbing black streaks about yourself. Not sure the exact syntax on another person, still always forget when someone else comes in with it. --Zamara 12:55, 30 March 2009 (UTC)
Passive Perceive Health
I just sensed someone 1 room away who was dying via a passive perceive health:
Person1 carefully makes another fold in his paper. > You sense (S) from your current position: The presence of Person2, who appears to be dying. > A gusty but pleasant breeze continues to swirl around you.
Circle 54 Empathy 287 Attunement 257
I didn't touch this person, so a prior diagnostic link doesn't seem to be required.