Cage of Light
|Mana Type:||Lunar Magic|
|Spell Type:||standard / warding|
|Prep (min/max):||15 / 100|
|Skill Range (min/max):||80 / 800|
|Valid Spell Target:||Self|
|Duration (min/max):||10 minutes / 40 minutes|
|Description:||Cage of Light weaves the light-fire of the moons into a protective barrier around its caster. Though it appears as a cage, the barrier moves effortlessly with the magician, weightless and unhindering.
This spell reduces the amount of injury the magician suffers from kinetic force and conventional weaponry. It can completely hedge out minor supernatural and elemental sources of injury, but any physical force behind the attack must still be accounted for: it may nullify the fiery enchantment of a sword, but the swing itself can only be reduced. It may squelch the dire holiness of a weak Fist of Faenella, but the kinetic force that propels it must be endured.
Since this spell is a complex product of the Celestial Compact's light-bending magic, students of that sect's teachings can produce a longer lasting Cage of Light than other Moon Mages.
|Effect:||Physical damage reduction, Elemental damage reduction/absorption|
- Against conventional forms of damage (Pierce, Slice, Impact), the spell will reduce the incoming damage by a percentage determined by the potency of the spell. In a sense, it works very much like additional Protection on your armor.
- Against elemental forms of damage (Fire, Cold, Electric, as well as "holy fire" and "lunar energy,"), in addition to Protection there is also an Absorption analog. If the damage is sufficiently low, it will be removed completely.
- Celestians have a sect affinity to this spell and gain a duration bonus.
- Non-Celestians: 10-39 minutes
- Celestians: 30-90 minutes
- Visible in LOOK description when cast.
- The elemental damage needs to be very low to trigger absorption. This will not be triggered if an at-level Warrior Mage decides to introduce you to his Fire Ball. The absorption layer is meant to protect you from being nibbled to death by weak attacks, and to provide protection against attacks where elemental damage is a secondary effect, such as an enchanted sword.
- Very few attacks in the game are purely elemental. For example, Fire Ball is a mixture of both Impact and Fire damage. It is entirely possible for Cage of Light to provide absorption against the elemental portion of an attack but leave you the conventional damage to deal with.
- Even if the elemental damage does not trigger the Absorption layer, it will still go through the Protection layer.