Aura of Tongues
|Mana Type:||Elemental Magic|
|Spell Type:||standard / utility, area of effect|
|Prep (min/max):||1 / 100|
|Skill Range (min/max):||0 / 400|
|Valid Spell Target:||Group, Area|
|Duration (min/max):||10 minutes / 40 minutes|
|Description:||Aura of Tongues is a boon to any traveling Bard, particularly those that reach foreign regions where the ability to understand other languages is a necessity. This spell endows upon you and others the ability to understand, but not speak, any simple racial language uttered around you. Spoken, chanted, sung, it all becomes clear to you so long as you have this spell in effect, though you yourself will not be able to speak in that language in kind."
This is a non-battle spell that can be cast on an area or group. Non-battle spells have significantly longer preparation times than battle spells. It affects yourself, other adventurers, and some objects. It requires a minimum of one mana streams, and can expand to a maximum of one hundred mana streams woven into it. To begin to be able to cast this spell, you will need to reach the rank of a lowly novice. By the time you have mastered this spell, you will be ranked as a genius in your abilities as a caster. It requires the Utility skill to cast effectively. This spell has no prerequisites. It will also cost one spell slot.
|Effect:||Understand but not speak other languages.|
|Example Messaging:||A myriad of disjointed sounds seem to linger aimlessly in the air for a few moments before they blend together into whispered phrases that you manage to recognize.
Glancing at those others in the area, you find yourself more aware of their movements, the patterns in their speech, and feel sure that you can now understand more languages than you once could.
- Defaults to CAST GROUP.
- Can be CAST SELF to only affect yourself. It is not possible to specify another player as the sole target.
- With knowledge of the area casting feat it can also be CAST AREA.
- This spell has unusual replacement mechanics.
- The spell will not replace if cast at lower mana, even if simply to extend the duration. If cast at equal or greater than the original mana then the spell will fully replace. Both of these situations are on a target by target basis.
- The caster can use RELEASE AOT to release the spell on themselves only, but others affected by the spell cannot release the spell early in this way whether by the caster or themselves. It can only be ended early by using a dispelling ability in such cases.
- The number of languages unlocked increases with mana. The languages learned are in a fixed order, although this is slightly affected by race, since an affected player's native language is removed from the list.
Mana # of additional languages 1 1 5 2 >7 3 4 5 6 7 8 9