A carving knife is a large knife between 8 and 15 inches that is used to slice thin cuts of meat, including poultry, roasts, hams, and other large cooked meats. A carving knife is much thinner than a chef's knife (particularly at the spine), enabling it to carve thinner, more precise slices. They are generally shorter and wider than slicing knives.
Creation and repair
Carving knives can be created using forging techniques that fall under the Weaponsmithing discipline.
Crafted carving knives use the standard process for metal tool repair.
- Freshly crafted, their repair requires Weaponsmithing techniques.
- Once used to CARVE, the carving knife becomes a tool and its repair requires Blacksmithing techniques.
Metal carving knives gain their effectiveness from the material's hardness (harder is better) and density (lower is better).
- Honing has no effect on the speed of the knife.
- The best common metal for an Engineering carving knife is lightened medium carbon steel (67% mcs, 33% oravir).
- The best rare metal for an Engineering carving knife is 3.0 density silversteel.
|Metal Properties||Tool Properties|
|a <metal> carving knife||95||90||3||10 - extremely effective||18 - practically invulnerable|
|a <metal> carving knife||95||50||3.01||10 - extremely effective||12 - quite guarded|
|a <metal> carving knife||85||50||3.68||9 - exceptionally effective||14 - very strong|
|a <metal> carving knife||90||25||3.68||9 - exceptionally effective||6 - somewhat unsound|
|a <metal> carving knife||80||80||3.68||8 - very effective||17 - nearly impervious|
|a <metal> carving knife||90||25||5||8 - very effective||6 - somewhat unsound|
|a <metal> carving knife||95||70||7.5||6 - sort of effective||16 - unusually resilient|
|a <metal> carving knife||85||50||6.32||6 - sort of effective||14 - very strong|
- Carving knives are converted to a tool template on the first CARVE. Once this is done, the tool must be tempered using Blacksmithing techniques and can no longer be tempered with Weaponsmithing techniques.
- As a Blacksmith, you can temper a carving knife by CARVE <ITEM> WITH MY KNIFE immediately after crafting, and then tempering it. The item can be any item in game, such as the anvil.
- After conversion, the carving knife can still be balanced or honed by a Weaponsmith.