This command is provided as a way to settle PvP disputes when both parties agree. The default challenge usually (but not always) protects you from dying. However, you may die or be seriously injured during the duel and may later die of your wounds. Having an empath on hand or herbs would be a wise precaution.
LOCAL LAWS AND RESTRICTIONS STILL APPLY. Fighting in town zones (including in and around the guilds and town gates), whether in an arena or not, may get you arrested, particularly if a death is a result of the challenge. Empaths may issue challenges but they will still go into shock if they attack someone. Paladins will not have their souls harmed but if clerics kill or spill blood on holy ground, their god will still be displeased.
To Issue a Challenge:
To Accept/Refuse a Challenge: You may either ignore it or...
CHALLENGE <character> ACCEPT or REFUSE
To End or Stop a challenge:
CHALLENGE <character> STOP or SURRENDER (requires a reason)
Your opponent must also issue the STOP command.
CHALLENGE (no target)
Fluff emote: You puff out your chest and strut around!
Normally players simply challenge and go resulting in a challenge "to the pain". However, the challenge command comes with several options that are either of role play or game play value that can change the end result or have requirements to be started.
To Issue a Certain Type of Challenge:
CHALLENGE <character> <type> <reason> <injured person>
Note: Injured Person is only used with a Vengeance challenge.
TYPEs of challenges
- Blood - The challenge ends at first blood.
- Blow - The challenge ends when first blow that lands.
- Pain - This is the DEFAULT. The challenge ends when one is knocked unconscious.
- Death - The challenge ends when one is dead. Death may only be challenged under vengeance and then only for killing.
- Honor - your honor was violated by opponent and you seek satisfaction
- Vengeance - you or a relative were killed or stolen from recently. The injured person must be named after the reason.
- Justice - You seek justice for crimes committed against yourself or others.
- Restitution - You wish restitution for actions taken by another against you or another. This is restricted to the Arenas.
- Theft - You are accusing person of theft against yourself but seek only satisfaction.
- Contest - This is the DEFAULT. It is contest of skill vs skill.
Accepting & Refusing
There are multiple options for refusing a challenge, but only one to accept. Accepting will begin the duel.
CHALLENGE <character> <ACCEPT/REFUSE> <reason>
REASONs for Refusal are:
- Mistake - This is a denial of guilt. You claim the challenge has been issued mistakenly.
- Strike - This is an admission of guilt. You strike the challenger with hand or item in right hand.
- Bow This is the DEFAULT. It shows respect without admission or denial of guilt.
Stopping a Challenge
To stop a challenge use the syntax below. Stop requires no reason, but the other participant must also type the command for it to go through.
CHALLENGE <character> <SURRENDER/STOP> <reason>
REASONs for Surrendering are:
- ADMIT - you admit to your guilt...automatically ends the challenge in favor of the challenger. Not available for a Contest challenge.
- DENY - you want it to end but you deny the reason you were challenged. Requires opponent to ACCEPT. Not available for a Contest challenge.
- MERCY - like a no-contest, but you accept guilt. This requires that your opponent ACCEPT.
- ACCEPT - you accept the surrender of your opponent.
- REFUSE - you turn down the surrender of your opponent.