Giant thicket viper
Nearly as wide as a full grown human, it's also much longer and it often measures 15 feet in length. Fierce, deadly and the foe of all who meet it, it seems at times to express almost human qualities. Some legends suggest that the thicket viper was indeed among the races of our kind but were enchanted into the poisonous, hateful thing you now see.
Vipers can spit poison into eyes of their enemies. Eye armor only protects some of the time. Shields can block it, but parry has no effect. When you get poisoned by a viper, you get two poisons: nerve poison and stunning poison. The poison causes random stuns and internal nerve and eye damage. The poison also stacks - as you get hit with more poison the potency of the poison increases.
Optimal range in 3.1 appears to be 100-155.
The area that the vipers share with the Giant Black Leucros is heavily overgrown. With low perception and/or scouting ranks you will likely not go in the direction you intend when you move. This can make getting out of the area quite difficult.
Some other things to note:
- Occasionally drop gems ("I've gotten large gold nuggets off them."- Zarrurvok) and other things from the 'misc' loot table.
- Moving around teaches minimal perception and scouting (if a ranger).
- Moving around drains your fatigue.
- Peering can cause roundtime as you climb a tree to look around.
- You can use a machete to HACK in a certain direction. This will make it easier to move in that direction.
- As perception and scouting increase you will be better able to move in your intended direction, until you are no longer hindered at all.
Consistent encounters resulting in near-death/death with 140 evasion 137 shield and 122 parry.
Evasion 145 / Shield 125 / Parry 120 / Weapons 130 - These are no problem. With a full room of 4 I use a couple defensive spells just to be sure, but careful hunting at these skills is very doable. I started hunting these are 120 Evas / 100 Parry/Shield, that was FAR more dangerous, but was doable with spells if I was careful.--TRIMACK (talk) 22:05, 5 July 2016 (CDT)
The giant thicket vipers in riverhaven teach tactics until a hard cap of 207.
Giant thicket vipers occasionally drop a random assortment of odd items.