A front end is the program you use on your computer to play DragonRealms. While any Telnet client can get you into the game, many users prefer a front end that is specifically designed for DragonRealms and that automatically and seamlessly connects them to the game.
Features range from nothing at all to very robust development/player tools:
|Highlights, gags/ignores/squelches, and substitutes||Allow the user to color, hide, or alter specific game messaging strings so that significant game text stands out from less important messaging, and may be organized visually|
|Scripts, macros, triggers, and aliases||Allow the user to automate various game tasks|
|Windows||Allow incoming game text to be routed to different panels within the front end according to what type of information each message contains (whispers, speech, thoughts, death messages, field experience, etc.)|
|Chats/IMs||Allow users to communicate directly with other users without leaving the FE environment|
|Mapper||Allows users to keep track of where they are or where they have been|
|Data management||Allows users to keep notes and record various pieces of information for later use|
|Plugins||Allow users to add features that the developers didn't (more complex than scripts)|
Official Simutronics-supported Clients
These are the official clients developed and supported by Simutronics. They are free with your game subscription.
- StormFront: The most current and robust of Simutronics's clients for Microsoft Windows
- Wizard: An older and less robust client that is compatible with both Windows and Mac. Not recommended due to its age and limited feature set compared to StormFront.
- Avalon: Macintosh OS X
- Note: for OS X Lion, currently version 4.1.5 works correctly, but not 4.2.2 "beta".
- Webclient: The default client for new players. Limited features compared to StormFront but very accessible. (This is generally only recommended for players who can't install a dedicated client.)
- eScape: Java-based Web client with most basic features. Internet Explorer only.
Third-party Clients Designed for DragonRealms
Players or unaffiliated developers provide updates to these clients, but they provide a complete and robust game experience.
- Frostbite: Open-source C++/Qt client with custom user interface, text highlights, macros and Ruby support
- Genie: A popular third-party client, with many rich features. One-time purchase required.
- Lich: Can be run on top of StormFront or Genie. Open source.
- Outlander: Open-source Mac OSX 10.10+ client for DR. Highlights, aliases, variables, macros, mapper, scripting.
- Warlock: Open-source client for Simutronics games
- YASSE: Open-source script engine plug-in for Avalon
Unsupported Third-party Clients
These clients are not specifically designed for DragonRealms. As such, they require establishing a manual connection by the user, and given the complex stream of game information, require substantial customization.
- Mudlet: An open-source C++/QT mud client with Lua
- Telnet (what came/used to come installed with Windows or other OS platforms)
- VIP Works with screen readers
- ZMud/CMud: Generic MUD clients. Purchase required (If you want Support for the product).